"Remember the Alamo," And 5 Other Things I Love About Texas

A Nostalgia Piece About My Great State

17
galleryhip.com

I was lucky enough to have been born and raised in the great state of Texas. I still claim it as home although I have already spent two semesters in Kansas City, MO and am getting ready to spend the next school year there as well.

Now, there are many aspects of MO that remind me of Texas but, Toto, there's no place like home. In fact, as I consider leaving in two days, nostalgia begins to haunt me: what in the world will I do without H-E-B, the heat, the flatland, the knowledge that I live in THE BEST STATE IN THE UNION WHICH ALSO HAPPENS TO BE THE MOST HUMBLE? How can I leave the only state in the Union that still brings up the topic of secession regularly AND actually treats it seriously.

What will I do, indeed?

As a form of self-therapy, y'all (catch that charming little y'all, y'all?) and in an attempt to comfort myself, I have compiled a short list of the things I love most about this great state of mine (and, by the time you've finished reading this, you'll wish that you could claim this state as yours).

1. OUR SLOGAN

(etsy.com)

Now tell me, folks, what other state so unabashedly declares over and over again that it has a larger-than-life personality and enjoys living life to the fullest? From our BBQ, to our grocery stores (I mentioned H-E-B already, right?,) to our attitude about guns, we enjoy taking things somewhat to excess.

2. OUR HISTORY

(williamson-county-historical-commission.org)

The source of some serious bragging rights, Texas was its own independent republic for ten blissful years (1836-1846). Some would say those were our best years.

3.OUR PERSONALITY AND SOUTHERN WARMTH

(philly.com)

We're known for the former when it comes to protecting the Second Amendment, but we have our own unique take on Southern sass. Plus, when it comes to the South in general, Texas doesn't fall into the usual category. We're just...different. And we have plenty of good ole, down-home charm in the form of true Texas friendliness and warmth.

4. OUR RESPECT FOR HOMESCHOOLERS

(washingtonpost.com)

My Mom loves to brag on Texas' great homeschooling laws and, as the homeschooling Mother of ten children, she ought to know. The state government does a great job of keeping a balanced approach when it comes to legislature regarding homeschooling (in other words, they stay out of our business).

5. OUR FLOURISHING ECONOMY

(dreamstime.com)

According to a 2015 CBS article, "the unemployment rate in Texas is 1.6 percent lower than the national average." In 2015, the Bureau of Economic Analysis named Texas as one of "the five fastest growing states." I could go on, folks, but, in true Texas style, I don't wish to brag.

6. OUR REMEMBRANCE OF THE ALAMO

(stylemagazine.com)

Ah yes, I've saved the best for last, my friends. This is when Texas showed the world what heroism meant. And let me just clear the air about something: every non-Texan fails to understand why the Alamo is so revered because they claim that it is.. (Texans cover your ears)...a "failure." Sure, we didn't win that battle, people, but that was the day that every Texan (and a watching world) understood that we were willing to give our lives (nearly every man in the Alamo died) for our freedom. A lost battle doesn't equal a lost cause and this particular skirmish only added fuel to the fire of hope. We won our independence shortly after.

Satisfied? You'd better be, because we're Texans: we will come to get you.