12 Things Learned From My First College Semester

There are a lot of things to keep up with.

17
collegeblueprint.com

In a few short weeks, I will be finishing my first semester in college. Here are a few things that I have learned.

1. It is important to say no.

If you need to study, tell your friends you cannot hang out. If you are tired and need rest, say no to the club meeting.

2. It is important to eat.

If you skip breakfast, then eat lunch. If you skip lunch, then you eat dinner. It is not healthy to not eat because eating gives you energy and energy is important in college.

3. It is important to sit in the front.

Professors notice where you sit. They will care if you care. They will learn your name if you are in the front. And if they know your name they might have mercy.

4. It is important to be on time and be present.

Your grade is a product of your effort. Make the effort to come to class every day. Sleeping in is not a sign of effort, but a sign that you should see #1.

5. It is important to be involved.

All work and no play will make a very dull college student. #4 is important but must be balanced with an equal amount of extracurricular activities.

6. It is important to make friends.

I am lucky because I attend a school that my older sister attends as well, but I still made an effort to make my own friends, because ultimately you cannot study all of the time.

7. It is important that you save the money you make over the summer.

I have learned this the hard way; you will want to spend money when you get to school. However, it will be hard to go shopping when you have cents in your bank account.

8. It is important to respect your roommate.

A roommate relationship is unique, and it can make or break your semester. Without mutual respect and understanding you will not want to come to your room, making it difficult to get rest, study, and of course shower on a regular basis.

9. It is important to read and study.

I know I should have realized this in high school, but for some reason I just now realized that reading and studying means success and good grades.

10. It is important to do your laundry.

Not sure if I need to expand on this, but dirty clothes mean you won’t be able to do #6 and #7 is out the window.

11. It is important to exercise.

Exercising relieves stress, which if not dealt with, can lead to anxiety or even depression. It will make you feel good and ready to accomplish many tasks.

12. It is important to call home.

Your family is important. They love you and want to hear from you. Besides, you would not be where you are without them.

One thing is for sure -- it's hard to prepare for the unknown. I think we are all just trying to figure it out as we go, and there are still many more lessons to be learned.