15 Things I Learned By Age 19

15 Things I Learned By Age 19

Life is full of lessons. Here are mine.

281
15 Things I Learned By Age 19
pexels.com

I turned 20 on March 4th, here's what I've learned so far.

1. I have the greatest friends in the world.

I consider myself beyond fortunate to have met the people who I now call my best friends. I believe in the concept of soulmates because of them. We laugh, cry, dance and have far too many mental breakdowns together. I genuinely cannot thank the forces of the universe enough for placing these people into my life.

2. I won't apologize for who I am.

My energy is one of a kind and therefore not meant for everyone. I am passionate, outspoken and confident. Some may find that intimidating, some may find that beautiful. Regardless of which, I will always fully express my authentic, unapologetic self. I am who I am and will not compromise my individuality for anyone.

3. Music is powerful.

I truly do not know where I would be without music. In many ways, I believe that it saved my life. Music has provided me with a sense of tranquility that I am not sure I would have otherwise.

4. My mom is my hero.

Amidst life's constant chaos and monumental obstacles, my mother has been there for me. She is the greatest example of love I know. Her thoughtfulness, compassion and perseverance inspire me every day.

5. Material wealth is nothing.

True wealth lies within the mind. There is not a purse or car in the world that will ever equate to the value of knowledge. My parents instilled this principle in me at a young age and it has remained relevant ever since. Money can buy many things, but it cannot buy wisdom.

6. Partying doesn’t solve problems.

Partying only provides temporary happiness. Those fleeting moments of ecstasy do not eradicate one’s internal struggles and responsibilities. I’ve learned to cope with life’s many tribulations in much healthier ways, such as investing in my future and attaining academic goals.

7. I love writing.

My relentless pursuit of knowledge has often been accompanied by writing. I have been a writer ever since I can remember, constantly jotting down philosophical theories and ideas. Writing enables me to better comprehend myself, life and all facets of existence. It fortifies my desires to succeed and feeds my hunger for understanding.

8. Clothes have no gender.

I’ve lately felt very comfortable in neutral colors and simple, almost “boy-like” outfits. People have commented on me “dressing like a boy” as if it were a negative thing. My style changes throughout the years and if my current style is distasteful to some, then so be it. Clothing is one of the many ways I express my identity and it should not be so narrowly gendered.

9. Freedom is an illusion.

We are only as free as we think ourselves to be. The choices we make are rarely our own. We are inevitably influenced by our upbringing, culture and consumerist society. Though we like to think of ourselves as autonomous individuals, we are not. We are slaves to one another, living to impress each other and seldom satisfying ourselves. Freedom is solely conceptual, it is an abstract, intangible experience.

10. Dancing is therapeutic.

Though dancing unleashes a potentially embarrassing side of me, it is one of my favorite ways to unwind. There is a certain relaxation emitted from playing my favorite songs and moving around, in admittedly, awkward ways. I am a pro at air guitar and no one can tell me any different.

11. My roommates are the best.

There is no better feeling than laughing until your stomach hurts and I get to experience that daily. My roommates and I are probably too close for comfort, but I am tremendously grateful for the friendship we share. They’ve taught me more than they even know.

12. Boys are an accessory, not a necessity.

Our society tends to broadcast and glamorize relationships, often making me feel as though I should be in one. However, I’ve come to the realization that such is not true. There is nothing a man can do for me that I can’t do for myself. As Irina Dunn said, “a woman needs a man like a fish needs a bicycle.”

13. Mental health matters.

Growing up, I was told not to climb trees because I would break a bone or pull a muscle. I wasn’t warned about anything other than this. I assumed that as long as my limbs were intact, my health was fine. I’ve since then learned that mental health is not only real, but just as important as physical health. Taking care of myself and my sanity is now one of my main priorities.

14. Failure is a lesson.

It’s easy to grow discouraged upon recognizing one’s own mistakes, however, I use my failures as fuel for my success. Every mistake only shows me what not to do the next time, so eventually, I’ll get it right. Failure is a way to weed out those who don’t want it bad enough, “it” being whatever one’s goal is. Those who are truly destined for greatness will not let failure stump them.

15. Life is beautiful.

I’ve had a relatively tough journey thus far, having to overcome indescribable tragedies and countless barriers. Yet, amidst it all, life in all its fullness, is truly beautiful. The people I've met and places I've seen are a testament to how remarkable the journey of life is. I can only hope for a future of continued love and light.