5 Things I Will Miss About the Summer After Senior Year

Because you really don't realize how good things are until it's too late.

304
Emily Farrell

The summer after my senior year of high school was probably my most memorable summer yet. It was the perfect mix of freedom of safety. I could drive anywhere I wanted but I hadn't left for college yet. I had a job that paid good money but I still had parents who paid the bills. Best of all, I had no schoolwork to do but I still had a secure spot in school come August. While I am still fortunate enough to have parents who love and care for me, and while being home from school is a bit of stress relief after finals week, I still believe that my senior year summer was the best I'll ever have.

1. Graduation parties

I don't think there was ever a weekend that summer when I didn't have a party to go to. Everyone I was friends with and even people I barely knew had huge celebrations, so there was never a dull moment and always a cute picture to post on social media.

2. Not having any schoolwork

I thought that every summer post high school would be free from any work or responsibilities, but I soon realized that I had my expectations set too high. While there isn't "assigned" summer work, extra courses and internships take up around the same amount of time if not more.

3. Having all of my things unpacked

The worst part about coming home so far has been trying to figure out how to unpack the immense amount of stuff I brought home from college. And, the second worst part is the realization that everything has to be packed up again in 3 months!

4. The excitement for college

Meeting my roommates, going to orientation, and buying decorations for my dorm were only some of the exciting things about college that I enjoyed the summer before leaving. I would think about college almost everyday, and now the thought of not seeing my friends just makes me sad.

5. Being with all of my high school friends

Even though I've stayed close with many of them, it's tough to stay in touch with all of your high school friends when you go away to college. The last summer we all spent together was one filled with many memories, and it was one I'll never forget.