This Thing Called Love

This Thing Called Love

Love cannot be explained by a college student who is typing on a Word Doc.
66

True love. That type of love that you search your whole life for. That type of love that you wait your whole life for. I wonder if people understand this type of love. Not the bullshit you see on movie screens. Not the love you hear about in songs, but the real thing. I once heard someone say that love isn’t when someone says they can’t live without you, but when someone actually could live without you yet they choose not to because they love you.

I hope you find this love.

True love. The princess meeting her prince. The king meeting his queen. The him meeting his her. Love encompasses a variety of different emotional and mental states, typically strong and positive, ranging from the most sublime virtue or good habit, the deepest interpersonal affection and to the simplest pleasure. At least that is what it says when you Google the word but I think this is something we should not overanalyze.

I hope I find this love.

True love. Love is a beautiful mess. A gorgeous tornado. A whirlwind of emotions. Sometimes it can be the worst pain imaginable. It is also the absolute peak of beauty and happiness. It can drag you to the darkest depths of life and scar you until death. It can also take you into the universe past the clouds and heal you until you feel immortal. Allow both ends of the spectrum and it will be experiences you won’t forget.

I hope love finds us.

True love. Something so foreign to me that I feel a sense of falsehood for writing this article. The love I have been apart of has not followed anything I have written. It is ironic that I still label it as love. People have been on the same road that I have trekked through. They have hit the lows and highs just like I have. I write as a novice. I write as a rookie. I write as someone that love has accented but never overwhelmed. I thought I fell hard. I thought I was “in love”. It was something different.

Love will find you.

I say that true love is unique and a treasure. Love can come in other forms than just romantically. The love parents feel for their child. The love you have for those friends that will be apart of you forever. The love for a particular interest or hobby is another type. If none of these types have found their way into your life I hope at least you have self-love which can be the most powerful.

Love cannot happen without you.

You know the saying “You complete me.” That’s a farce. That is not true love. That is a love that will be unstable. That is a love that will never last. It is not 50% and 50% coming together to make 100%. It is two 100%s coming together to equal 200. You should complement each other, not complete.

Love is weird.

I have said plenty of things. Plenty of artsy things. Love cannot be explained by a college student who is typing on a Word Doc. It cannot be explained in a song. It cannot be displayed in a movie. Love is something ever-changing and incomparable, especially unconditional love. Love is understanding without understanding. It has no definition. It has no requirements. It is what it is. Sorry!