Why We Don't Use The "S" Word

Why We Don't Use The "S" Word

The dreaded "S" word that we all can't seem to avoid.

24
Why We Don't Use The "S" Word
Nicole Gentile

When you first read the title, you probably thought about all the cuss words that start with "S." Those are pretty bad and you shouldn't use those either, but I'm talking about the word "senior". Gah, I can't believe I just outright said it. Brace yourself because, sadly, I'm gonna say it again.

There are three times in your life when you get to wear the title "senior". The first time you're in high school and you proudly accept the title with a giant smile, ready to leave your crumby old high school behind. The second time, it quickly catches you off guard. The best four years of your life fly by with unlimited laughs, tears, and so many emotions in between. The final title finds you later in life and I hear there are great discounts that come with it.

Being a senior is great when you're in high school. You're ready to graduate and move on to the next stage in your life. You're ready to meet new people and experience all that college has to offer. & honestly, you're naive because you don't really know the pain of leaving just yet.

But fast forward four years and you're a senior in college. I'm sure there are people out there who are eagerly ready to finish college, join the workforce and get on with life. But then there are people like me, who dread even saying the word. Saying it makes it real. And although it's cool that it's real. there are definitely reasons why it's not.

Saying the "S" word means...

...spending your last year at the place that molded you into who you truly are.

...accepting that you are going to have a lot of "lasts" in the coming year.

...realizing some day you and your best friends won't live in the same place.

...sooner rather than later, you'll be starting an "adult" job...and that means paying bills and rent and all the things your parents used to cover.

...or maybe you have more school in your future, and like me, are now freaking out about applications and where to go and ugh, those dreaded grad school exams.

...leaving behind the younger, cooler people you've befriended.

...you actually have to start paying back those student loans.

In all reality, being a senior is going to be the best year of college yet. Take every chance and every opportunity. With a great year comes great memories and that's what we have to hold on to. As much as we would love to avoid the sadness that senior year brings, there are so many more wonderful things to come in the future.

So take a deep breath & say it with me, "I am a senior"...a senior!