These Things Matter

These Things Matter

I'm at a loss for words, and usually that never happens.

1
These Things Matter
Gaye Levy

I'm at a loss for words, and usually that never happens. But here we are. It is too exhausting to try to make sense of the tragedy that persists in our society, and all that I have left are silent tears while I watch yet another newscast about senseless loss of life. Worst of all, I don't even have the strength to explain why we so desperately need justice to those who still insist that these are non-issues.

These things are issues. They matter.

The U.S. is a violent place to live; I've fled to the suburbs of Louisville and double check my doors and windows at night because the number of murders has risen so high, it may soon break city record. When I think about setting foot outside of my apartment, I can't help but imagine someone opening fire while I wait in line to order my food, watch a movie or select my groceries. I scroll quickly through my social media so I don't have to read one more ignorant comment about "thugs" or the Second Amendment; thus, I had to block Donald Trump on Twitter.

I don't understand how anyone can hear "50 people killed, 53 wounded" and think about some mythical character snatching their gun away before considering all of the human life lost. I don't understand how anyone can loudly proclaim that the "Black Lives Matter" movement is divisive when black people have literally been treated like dirt in this country since they got here. I don't understand how we can continue in this years' electoral process as if it's normal that one candidate can incite violence at his rallies and the other has a shadier past than a willow tree. I don't understand how we can see footage of the absolute chaos and terror occurring overseas but we are adamant in turning our backs on refugees who want only to find a safe space. The complete lack of empathy and compassion among us has driven me to almost accepting defeat.

I think we should all take a moment to be ashamed of ourselves.

...

And now that the moment has passed, let's start tomorrow fresh. Say a prayer or offer a moment of reflection (whatever your style) for the families who have lost loved ones, whether through violence, disease, war, or disaster. Check any judgmental thoughts that cross your mind. Be patient with everyone around you...they're all trying to navigate through the uncertainty as best as they can. Then give yourself a minute to count all of the things that are going right in your life. It helps.