These Are the Best Foodie Vacations You Can Take

People Who Love to Eat Are Always the Best People...to Travel With!

7

Much of culture centers around food. From childhood to travel adventures, some of the most vivid memories you hold onto have to do with the taste and smell of a delicious shared meal. Maybe you take a seat at a hole in the wall diner that turns out to be a five-star experience, or perhaps you learned to make a new dish from scratch.

The mere scent of spice takes you back to a memory, community and culture. Want a powerful sensory experience? These are the five best food vacations you can take.

1. Tsukiji Fish Market in Tokyo, Japan

Sushi fan? You haven't lived until you visit the Tsukiji Fish Market in Tokyo, Japan. It's an observational rather than participatory activity since only licensed bidders may participate. The tuna auction starts at the crack of dawn six days of the week.

The Tsukiji Fish Market started in the early 1600s but was destroyed in its various incarnations by some form of disaster from fire to earthquake. Fortunately, it's stood at its current location since 1935. Unfortunately, it closes for good on October 6, 2018 — book now. Peruse the inner and outer markets to see where the street vendors and high-end restaurants get their best fare out of 2,000 tons of daily marine products passing through the market.

2. Complex Local Food Culture in Catalunya, Spain

True foodies dare go regional, and Catalunya, Spain offers unique recipes and foods steeped in its culture and heritage. The complex food culture feels like a tasty maze the deeper you go — smaller areas of the region offer unique dishes that other areas of Catalunya don't. You know how regions have their own twist on a dish. In Catalunya, the unique only gets more unique.

Located right on the Mediterranean but also in a mountain area, you get a sampling of seafood and farm where "May y mantagna" or sea and mountain reside on the same plate. So, don't be surprised to see fish and meat together in your meal. Staples to sample include Crema Catalana and Pan Con Tomate. While there, check out the Priorat and Emporda wine regions.

3. London Cocktail Week in England

With the popularity of bar crawls, London Cocktail Week takes it all next level with seven days of 250+ bar offerings where bartenders show off their mixology skills. Each signature cocktail costs £6 or $7.03, cheaper than your typical fancy cocktail back in the states. You need to purchase a wristband to level up to these deals, but it definitely pays off since festival passes are also affordable at £10. The event home base is Old Spitfalls Market where tons of food trucks abound to pair with your cocktail selections. Truly foodie paradise!

While you stroll around the cocktail village — a.k.a. Heaven — don't forget to pick up a guidebook which shows participating bars outside the village. Establishments like Apples & Pears, City Social and Cocktail Trading Company show of their twists on classics and weird ones like "A Bag o' Chips." Surprise your taste buds with new memories.

4. Adventurous Street Food in Manila, Philippines

No, not manila folders — Manila, Philippines — the place you need to visit as a foodie because the capital is a mecca of street food. It's an alternative street food destination that rivals the tastes of Thailand street vendors. Listing all of the varieties and specialties would take a third off your life, so it's best just to go.

Called the isaw, fried pig and chicken intestines made over a hot fire and slipped on a skewer await the adventurous. The pig is chewy while the chicken resembles tube sausages. Chili onion vinegar is served with the smoky flavor as a contrast. Kwek kwek is deep fried quail eggs which you can season with onion, chili and vinegar, again, but think of them more as a version of corn dogs.

Extra tip: Check out the principality of El Nido over on Palawan Island for natural beauty and unique foodie fare.

5. An Urban Farm Restaurant in Copenhagen, Denmark

Take a foodie pilgrimage to eat at one of The World's 50 Best Restaurants — Noma, based in Copenhagen, Denmark. Chef and owner Rene Redzepi reopened the restaurant in 2017 with new sights and scents where Redzepi focuses on delivering food from the urban farm to the fork — their own farm to be exact. Just picture the greenhouse roof!

From one of the oldest fish markets to an urban farm restaurant, these are the five best foodie vacations you can take. Check out the Tsukiji Fish Market before it closes, and make a trip to enjoy London Cocktail Week in October.

Don't miss out on unique Catalunya, Manila and Copenhagen food fare, either — fried quail eggs are the new corn dogs. May these foodie vacations ignite your senses and make last memories for the years ahead.