Therapy dog breeds

Therapy dog breeds

What dog breed fits you?

97
National Geographic

A therapy dog is one that is trained to provide comfort and affection to individuals in nursing homes, hospitals, schools, hospices and other areas. Therapy dog breeds are also useful for children who have autism and various learning disabilities. What makes a therapy dog different from a service dog (such as those utilized by individuals with physical disabilities) is that they typically do not perform tasks. Because all that is required is an even temperament and a surplus of love and affection, many breeds make great therapy dogs.

The LabradorRetriever has consistently been named the most popular breed in the United States – perhaps it has something to do with its inclusion in our top therapy dogbreeds. Not only do these dogs make good pets, but they are also great as therapy dogs due to their intelligence and gentle demeanor. Labrador Retrievers take well to new people and they are very obedient when properly trained.

The German Shepherd is a highly versatile breed, namely because its intelligence enables it to be trained for a variety of different purposes. These dogs are fiercely loyal and can be very gentle, which makes them an excellent therapy dog breed.

When you think of a therapy dog, the Greyhound may not be the first breed that comes to mind but they perform the role exceedingly well. These dogs are known for racing, but they are also quiet and affectionate as a breed. Greyhounds are also sensitive, likely to notice any sound that is out of place. This breed is particularly useful as a sleeping companion because they do not bark and they enjoy spending time curled up in bed.

There are many more breeds of dogs that make great therapy animals.