#theJOYmovement

#theJOYmovement

Your life changes when...

17
#theJOYmovement
unnsplash.com

“Your life changes when you start trying to make other people happy and stop worrying about fulfilling your own happiness.”-Todd Mitchell

Currently, in our society, it seems there is great concern about our own happiness. If someone cuts us off while driving, we honk. If they get our order wrong at a restaurant, we get mad. There are countless situations every day where we get so upset about the tiniest things, because things don’t go our way and don’t make us happy.

While the world tells us to constantly look for things that give us happiness, I’d like to turn it around. I say that we start trying to make others happy. Just think about it. If every person went out of their way for a moment and made just one person smile or did a small act of kindness every day, there would be seven billion happy people every twenty-four hours.

Unfortunately, we’re not quite there yet. In our culture, we constantly hear things like, “you have to think of yourself for once," ”It is time to focus on you," ”In order to make anyone else happy, you have to think of yourself first.” The most joyful people I know have chosen to live their lives in service to others. The true JOY they characterize is a direct result of the heart that’s full of love for others.

If you’re still concerned about your own happiness as you read this... okay, I get it. So give me just one day. Go out of your way to make people happy for just that one day. I can guarantee that you will find joy in the moments, and surely you will find yourself happier than you are expecting as you read these lines. However grudgingly, just try it. You won’t be disappointed.

Perhaps that person that cut you off didn’t look in their blind spot because they were crying on their way to work. What do you think honking at them will do? Make you feel better? Instead, stay off their bumper and say a quick prayer for them. Maybe even pass them and give them a smile. The kindness you choose to show as an alternative to anger could change the outcome of their entire day.

Perhaps one of your friends is dressed cute--maybe even cuter than you! Instead of being jealous, compliment her.

If they get your order wrong at the restaurant, instead of getting mad at the waiter or waitress (it truly isn’t their fault), embrace the change to try something new.

When someone is short tempered with you or rude, I want you to think about why they are that way. What could be so wrong in their lives that they can be so rude? In turn, choose grace and try to improve their day rather than snapping back. Your simple act of kindness could result in a chain effect.

So, my challenge to you is this: Change your ways. Rise above the norm in our world today. By trying to make others happy rather than yourself, I can guarantee that you’ll see a change in your own attitude, perspective, and lifestyle.