Theater Review: 'Hadestown'

Theatre Review: 'Hadestown'

“Hadestown" is a musical by Anaïs Mitchell, and it recently won eight Tony Awards, including Best Musical. I was lucky enough to see it.

6
https://pmcvariety.files.wordpress.com/2019/05/hadestown-broadway.jpg?w=1000&h=563&crop=1
WordPress

“Hadestown" is a folk musical based off of the concept album by the same name. It is a retelling of the Greek myth of Orpheus and Eurydice, set in a post-apocalyptic world and portraying the Underworld as an underground factory. Prior to Broadway, it had performances in London, Canada, and off-Broadway New York.

The show is a marvelous and captivating unconventional piece of art that deserved every single one of its awards, and I feel as if everyone should see it. Even if you are not interested in the plot line or genre of music, there is still a very high probability that you'll love the show or, at the very least, appreciate it. I won't spoil anything, but there are a LOT of beautiful messages to be found within the show!

Don't worry if you slept through your Greek Mythology unit of English class; the story is very easy to follow, even if you don't know much about the characters beforehand. The dystopian-like setting is also familiar to most, so you don't have to worry about trying to figure out the rules of Ancient Greece.

Not only is the show itself beautiful, but everyone in the cast is incredibly talented as well, from Patrick Page (who plays tough old Hades himself) to the hard-working ensemble Chorus. My favorite thing about theater is when you forget that the people on stage are, in fact, just actors, as opposed to "real" characters. I felt that way for the majority of the show.

I am already trying to get tickets to see the show again, and I can only hope that everyone else gets the exact same opportunity. If you do see it, make sure to stay after the curtain call for the post-bows ballad!