I Chose Theatre As A Major And Here's Why

I knew I was in love.

26
Raven Logan's Personal Photo

When I was still in high school, I had people come up to me all the time and ask/tell me "What are you going to do after high school?", "What do you plan to do in college?", and "Choose something you would love to do for the rest of your life". I felt like I was under a lot of pressure to choose something others would approve of and that would get me a good job when I left. I had a lot to think about but in the back of my head, I think I always knew what called out to me the most.

I originally came into the University of West Georgia undecided. I was going to take one theatre class and a psychology class to determine what I like better. I would only take one semester to make this decision and after the semester ended I was sure. I thoroughly enjoyed my psychology class and I've always been fascinated by it, however, the deciding factor was the first show I saw in college. The UWG Theatre Company was putting on the first show of the season, "Spring Awakening". It was a musical and I had never seen it or really heard of it before. But I was very excited about seeing what this school and company had to offer.

I still remember being in awe about "Spring Awakening" and how it was done. I enjoyed the lights, set, acting. I was sold on the idea of declaring theatre as my major and I couldn't be more happier. I've learned a lot about myself, others, and how theatre can connect us all. I am going into my last few semesters here and I have cherished all of my experiences both good and bad. While I may struggle every now and again, I would have it no other way. The atmosphere theater brings is very inviting and being around people who love what they do has a way of rubbing off on you too. Thank you UWG and thank you theatre.