Theatre Gave me Such a Positive Outlook on Life

Theatre changed my life, and I am externally grateful for it.

76
Photo By: Barb Armendariz

All throughout high school I was very interested in theatre. I auditioned for just about every production my school put on, I even spent my summers participating in theatre camp. So you can say I was fully immersed in the dramatic arts. I loved it so much, that there was even a point where I wanted to be an actor.

As of right now I am not planning to pursue a degree in theatre and because of that I get questions from various people about why I was so actively involved as a high school student.

Let me be clear, my theatre department produced three productions a year and for most of the time I was a part of all three and I also participated in a 4 week theatre camp. I was pretty much a multi-sport high school athlete, just replace the word sport with production and athlete with actor.

Why was I so active? Because the community. I know it is cheesy but it is true. The theatre community is truly one like no other, and I can say that because I have been apart of many communities.

Photo By: Barb Armendariz

The theatre community is the most diverse, accepting, outgoing and open group of individuals I have encountered. They're people who pride themselves in their strengths and truly want everyone to succeed. Although I know this is not true to everyone's experience, I am only speaking from my point of view.

I joined theatre after I came out as gay and since then I have never felt more accepted by a group of individuals. No one treated me differently, I was treated just like everyone else. As a member of the LGBTQ+ community, I think all of us just want to be treated like any other person.

Before I joined I was always "wanted" by people but not for my interests or the things I wanted to do, but because I could go shopping and would talk to them about "cute boys". I am not saying I don't like talking about cute boys and going shopping, but there is way more to life than that.

Not only did I love the community, but I also loved watching theatre. Watching theatre is still something I try and do as often as I can! Shows like Wicked, Waitress, Hamilton, Dear Evan Hansen and Spring Awakening have given me so many messages about life and have steered me into where I am today. It really changes you when you watch a young teen with social anxiety sing about his daily life.

Nonetheless I think that I have found my place within the theatre community and am going to try and keep it in my life. Everyone is very positive and despite when they are going through can put on a smile and have a good time. That is something that I struggled with and being surrounded by them helped me live more in the moment.

Living in the moment truly makes an individuals prospective on life more positive. When you live in the moment, your only thought is about the right now. You eliminate all worries/concerns about the past or the future and you focus your energy on what is happening to you at this very moment. That is something that the community I found within theatre has taught me and it is something that I still use in my day to day life.

Photo By: Barb Armendariz

Related Articles Around the Web