The Wrath of Cancer

The Wrath of Cancer

Cancer does not discriminate.

156
The Wrath of Cancer
WinnipegFreePress

Cancer. A six letter word with more meaning to some people than anyone could ever imagine. Losing my grandpa to cancer when I was nine, really opened my eyes to show me that cancer does not discriminate. It’s a powerful disease that kills men, women, children, toddlers, and infants. Why can’t we just find a cure? Well you see, it’s not that easy. We find cure, after cure. Problem is, it’s only for one certain type or worst of all, it starts to become ineffective.

Watching a loved one, a child, or a small infant die of cancer is one of the hardest things you can ever do. Knowing that they could’ve been a doctor, lawyer, or next Bill Gates just makes your stomach roll. It wasn’t their fault. How could you ever wish something so cruel on a small child or even an adult? I would never even wish it on my worst enemy.

Finding a cure for cancer is a growing cause. Everyone is starting a 5k, a booth at the fair, or a Facebook page but the real heroes are the ones sitting in the offices trying to find the cure. Trying to save patients from the hours of Chemo, Radiation, and trial drugs. If something isn’t working, they just move on to the next thing and try again.

Cancer brings out the best and the worst in people. You watch it tear families apart. In other cases though, it can bring one together faster than almost anything else. One of the worst parts is watching it destroy a family financially. After someone dies, the medical bills pile up to godly amounts of money and leave the loved ones to pay them. The easiest way to support a family after losing someone, help with money. Just a simple trip to the grocery store, paying for a fuel up, or just a few dollars here and there.

How do you support someone going through cancer? Just sit next to them through the hundreds of chemo sessions where they just want to die as it is. Tell them you are there for them and give them something to look forward to everyday. Help them want to live through this horrible disease they are fighting through.

To the cancer patients and survivors, you are strong. You are stronger than I could ever imagine anyone being or trying to be. You have more strength and willpower than I could ever have. Just know the huge support system you have. Know anywhere you go, there will be someone who has your back and wants to help.

If you ever think you have it rough, and you need something to make you realize that you don’t have it as hard as you think you do. Think about the kids with cancer, the kids who have parents with cancer, or the families with loved ones that have died. You don’t have it rough until you have been through it all. When you see a family fall apart from cancer, that’s when you’ve been through it all. Trust me.