The World Is A Little Less Spectacular After Losing A Loved One

It's up to you to carry on your loved one’s memory.

32
Zwaddi on Unsplash

“It’s like a piece of you is missing.”

“Remember the good times.”

“They are in a better place.”

“You never really get over it, you just learn to live with it.”

“I am so, so sorry for your loss.”

“Don’t act like that, (X) wouldn’t want you to.”

Losing a loved one is never easy, no matter what anyone says. Everyone has their own opinion on how you should react, when the only person who gets a say in your response is you.

You get to be sad, that’s okay.

You get to be mad, that’s okay.

You get to cry, laugh, scream, shout -- do whatever is needed to get yourself through it.

Losing someone is hard, it’s a terrible thing, and it truly isn’t fair. Why should someone so wonderful, so full of life, have to be gone in the blink of an eye? While I will never have an answer to that question, I do know this: they are in a better place, one filled with their favorite activities, endless amounts of food, and everything they could ever want.

I also know that that person is watching over you. They will always be looking out for you, whether or not you know it. It’ll come in unexpected ways, whether it’s the sun shining down on a beautiful day, or the smell of a Christmas tree, your loved one is always there with you.

So, take time for yourself. Grieve, but continue on with life. Go slowly, ease yourself into things, and don’t try too much at once. Anything and everything could be a trigger to a memory, but maybe, instead of being sad that it’s over, smile because it happened.

The world is a little less spectacular now, but it is up to you to carry on your loved one’s memory, and be the spectacular in someone else’s world.