The Wish List I'll Never Complete

The Wish List I'll Never Complete

Here is a list of people I wish I could have witnessed, participated with, and things I could have done if I were born in a different generation.
11

Throughout the history of movies, music, television, and more we as a society have been given some of the most remarkable and influential leaders who have shaped our world of pop culture and history as we know it. The state in which our pop culture is placed in is all thanks to what once was. Each year we lose someone who has influenced history and we add a member to our individual hall of fame. Here is a list of people I wish I could have witnessed, participated with, and things I could have done if I were born in a different generation.

1. Hear Dr. King’s “I Have a Dream” speech played live on television

2. Witness Hendrix perform the National Anthem at Woodstock

3. Sing the second verse of “Me and Bobby McGee” with Janis Joplin

4. Smoke a joint with Bob Marley while he sings “Three Little Birds.”

5. Dance on American Bandstand

6. Dance on Soul Train

7. Hear Prince play “Purple Rain” for the first time

8. Yell “lights, camera, action!” with Steven Spielberg

9. Learn to do a bicycle kick with Pele

10. Sing “The Hills Are Alive” with Julie Andrews

11. Get a lecture from Mike Brady

12. Throw my hat in the air in the middle of Minneapolis with Mary Tyler Moore

13. Watch Rocky run the steps to the Philadelphia Museum of Art

14. Hear Elton John sing “Candle in the Wind” in dedication to Princess Diana

15. Celebrate the bicentennial in 1976

16. Uncover ancient artifacts with Indiana Jones

17. Practice impersonations with Robin Williams

18. Run until I can’t run anymore with Forrest Gump

19. Have Ricky Ricardo yell “Honey, I’m home!” to me

20. Witness the arrival of British Beatlemania in America

21. Cry over Elvis joining the army

22. Watch the original Royal Wedding at 5 in the morning

23. Witness the impeachment of Nixon that rocked the nation

24. Witness Grace Kelly transition from movie star to Princess

25. Watch Rock and Roll plummet after the deaths of Buddy Holly, the Big Bopper, and Ritchie Valens

26. Grab a milkshake with Richie Cunningham

27. Watch Tonya Harding get stripped of her Olympic title

28. Listen to Walt Disney’s opening day speech as the gates to Disneyland open for the first time

29. Watch Billie Jean King beat Bobby Riggs in the Battle of the Sexes

30. Protest the Vietnam War

31. Watch America beat the Soviets in the 1980 Olympics

32. Have “Night Fever” with the Bee Gees

33. Be pulled up on stage by “The Boss” (Bruce Springsteen) during the instrumental part of “Dancing in the Dark”

34. Watch MTV when it was still only music videos that graced the channel

35. Wait an entire summer to find out who killed JR on Dallas

36. Party at Studio 54 during the prime of disco

37. Be a bandwagon fan of the 1972 Dolphins

38. Ask Carly Simon who “You’re So Vain” is really about

39. Dress up for the premiere of “The Rocky Horror Picture Show”

40. Mourn with the world over the Challenger’s explosion

41. Ask the Beatles why the band really broke up

42. Make a deal with Monty Hall

43. Save up all my money to spend 25 cents on a 45

44. Indulge in “Archie” comics as a form of entertainment

45. Go to a Fleetwood Mac concert before Stevie Nicks left the band

46. Grow up reading Judy Blume books but read them as new releases

47. Play outside because it’s the only thing our parents’ generation did for fun

48. Bang a gong on the “Gong Show”

49. Drive around all night in the car like on “American Graffiti”

50. Continue to watch history be made

As a millennial, it’s important for myself to realize that history is still being made. There are still memorable moments that are continuing to happen each and every day and if I pay enough attention, the future generation will wish they took part in the history that I witnessed. So sure, I may have missed being a first-hand witness to the past, but I’m a first-hand witness to the future, and I’d consider myself lucky.