The Untold Stories Of The D.R. (Dorm Room)

As I pack up my boxes and close this chapter of my life, my eyes have forever been opened.

33
Beth Holen

Freshman year of college has come and gone and before I could even blink my eyes, I am now finding myself sitting in my childhood bedroom wondering where the year went. Although my first year of college has flown by, it did not pass so quickly that I didn’t have time to appreciate all of freshman year for what it was worth (and let me tell you, it was worth a lot).

To say that my first year of college has been one of the most pivotal, challenging, progressive, transforming, knowledge-filled, fun, adventurous, defining and memorable years of my life would be an absolute understatement to what this first year of my collegiate career has taught me. So, Coe College, thank you.

Thank you, Coe, for providing me with an instant family of soccer teammates the day I landed in Iowa way back on August 15. I was nervous, anxious, scared, and already missing the nostalgic feeling of the California rays, but you instantly gave me the exact people and sources of strength I needed to help me through the struggles and fears throughout these past nine months. From day one, they have been my home, and I am forever thankful for that.

Thank you, Coe, for leading me to quite possibly one of the greatest and most genuine people I’ll ever meet, my roommate. Call it fate or destiny or the stars aligning, but without my forever bunk-bud, I would not have survived midnight school panics, tough soccer losses, being away from home, dumb boys, outfit crises, constant wifi issues, Flunk Day, working the printer, captioning a picture, formatting the perfect Tweet, or the best picture lighting. Late night bunkbed talks are a real thing in college, for any younger audience members who think that sort of thing only exists in the movies, and I am so grateful for the heart-to-hearts we’ve shared this past year. Without them, I would not be the person I am today.

Thank you, Coe, for challenging me and my academic life from day, hour, minute, and second one. Yes, your classes have been intense, stressful, and overwhelming 99 percent of the time, but that means I am now 99 percent of a better, more prepared, and knowledgeable individual and student. You never handed me my grades or let me slack in any way, shape, or form, and thanks to you, I can confidently walk away from this year with my head held high knowing I earned the grades I received and worked diligently to get them. Besides, what is the point of paying for college classes that don’t challenge and push me to grow academically? That defeats the purpose.

Thank you, Coe, for pushing me outside of my comfort zone. Whether it was eating alone in the caf for the first time, trying new foods, talking to individuals I had never had the opportunity to associate with before, handling the pressures of being a “good girl” on a twenty-first century college campus, not conforming to my peers’ stereotype of who I should be as the “Cali girl” (for the most part), making my name, or growing up a little and dealing with my problems myself, I have grown so much in such a short amount of time. The obstacles, hurdles and situations you have placed me in this past year have truly been defining moments of my life and are experiences I’ll recall for the rest of my years to come.

Thank you, Coe, for teaching me what love truly is. You know the feeling a 16-year-old girl has when she thinks she’s “in love” with a boy and is certain she’s found “the one,” but then later deeply and legitimately falls in love with another boy and discovers what real love truly is and means? I have found that through Coe. I loved my high school and never thought I could cherish anything more than that, but Coe? Coe is my one true love, and I feel beyond blessed to share that same feeling with so many other past, present, and future Kohawks. Kohawks really do fly together and I cannot wait to see what destination our flock takes us to.

Thank you, Coe, for separating me from my loved ones back home. Without the distance and lack of my family’s presence, I do not think I would have formed the valuable and tight-knit bonds and relationships I have this year to fill my family’s void. Because of being miles from home, I have learned to truly appreciate California and my family for what they are, even down to the nitty-gritty details and nostalgic memories of familiarity that I once took for granted. Not only this, but I have also learned how to be a better daughter, sister, and family member to them when I arrive home. Family really is all you have and throughout the course of their absence this year, I have learned to value their presence more than I ever thought was possible.

Thank you, Coe, for always being so excited about me and my life. Whether it’s job openings, classes to take, internships, scholar weekends, soccer games or finals week, you just always care about what is going on in my individual world, and I cannot thank you enough for your dedicated attention and interest in my well-being. You’re always willing to go above and beyond to provide me with the absolute best experience in all aspects of my life, and you never cease to show me your endless love, encouragement, wisdom and support.

Thank you, Coe, for opening my eyes to things unknown to my oblivious mind before. Political events, concerns of foreign exchange students, striving to be a leader in a world full of followers, the power a single phone call can have on the well-being of my mom and dad, and the true grit it takes to survive one of the most defining years of my life. You have opened my eyes to so many aspects of life that I once overlooked, forcing me to develop, learn, and grow in various spectrums of my being. Although I may not be the person I was meant to be right now, you are propelling me forward and assisting me in arriving there by the time I graduate.

Thank you, Coe, for providing me with the absolute best and fondest memories. Whether it was the thought of actually going out on a Ladies Night, late night roomie dance parties, experimenting by making different meals in the microwave, legendary soccer wins, slap-happy all-nighters, the Cedar Rapids Dance Marathon, the chaos of Flunk Day (and the anticipation of the night before), Homecoming, being a little too loud in the library on most occasions, drinking coffee at ridiculous hours, my first Halloween in a college atmosphere, buying clothes online just to receive a package in the mail, lounging in a hammock in my dorm, watching Disney Channel with my roommate, stolen socks in the laundry, or staying in on a Friday night with my best friends, the memories and moments have been more than exceptional and I will cherish them until the day I cease to exist. My future children better be ready for the thousands of stories to share.

Thank you, Coe, for giving me so many of my firsts. My first time leaving my family for more than a week at a time, my first time doing laundry…ever, my first time receiving a C on a paper, crying, and then coming back academically stronger than ever, my first time living with a bunk bud, my first time having a true and genuine sister, my first time learning to cope without being with my best friend everyday (aka my mom…and my cat), my first time going to a school that neither of my parents worked at or my brother went to, and then having to make my own name from day one, my first time not breaking down and crying when I was stressed from school, my first time choosing friends, fun, and memory-making over homework, my first real kiss, my first time having to be strong and remain faithful to my morals and values on a college campus, my first soccer heartbreak, my first roommate hello and goodbye, my first taste of “Oreo Fluff” and “Scotcharoos” and my first time re-realizing how much I truly love to learn. There have been so many firsts, and I am so thankful that I have three more years until I have to write about my lasts.

Thank you, Coe, for giving me so much pride in being a Kohawk. You truly are the epitome of any college student’s dream. You’re beautiful in all of your seasons, peaceful in the storm, and strong through the quakes. Your academic standards astound me, your internship opportunities are plenty and rewarding, and your reputation is incomparable beyond belief. Your charm and genuine demeanor is noticed and appreciated by many, and your charismatic attitude gives me life in the deadliest of late studying hours. My favorite part about flying and traveling is being able to wear my Coe College attire with pride and joy, in the hopes that someone will stop and ask me about my school long enough for me to blush and brag about all of your intricate quirks and characteristics.

Thank you, Coe, for accepting me. Though the college application process was not fun, it was definitely rewarding. Coe does not just hand out acceptance letters to anyone and the fact that I was just one individual of a small percentage to receive a “big envelope” from you in the mail last year makes me happier than a leprechaun on St. Patty’s Day. I am so thankful for you wanting me, almost as much as I wanted you. I may not have known it before I visited your campus the fall of my senior year, but the instant I set foot on your glorious ground, my life forever changed…for the better. You instantly impressed this California girl with your Midwest charm, forcing me to fall in love with a city and state I never thought I would see myself in.

Thank you, Coe, for surrounding me with individuals who are as success-hungry, driven, determined, passionate, happy, quirky, and full of life as I am. Although we are all unique in our own little ways, over the years you have accumulated some of the world’s best and brightest minds, allowing me to interact with and grow close to some truly incredible people. The souls of your campus have challenged, intrigued, and made me a better person, which is something I am deeply grateful for.

Most of all, thank you, Coe, for witnessing all of the chaos, stress, highs, lows, successes, failures, mistakes, perseverance, sad tears, happy tears, confused tears, times of trial and error, fun, stupidity, and legendary moments I experienced this year, and for being able to share those secrets, memories, and connections with me for the many years to come. It’s true, you know, what they say. Once you’re a Kohawk, you really are always a Kohawk. Just as Coe will forever hold a special place in my heart, I know my footprint will always hold a special place on Coe’s campus, and I would give anything to walk a mile in my freshman year shoes all over again.

Time flies by and life goes quick. They say that if you do it right, once will be enough, but I don’t think I will ever have enough of Coe in my life. So, Coe, here’s to three more years of memory-makin’, late-night procrastination, and fun.