The Unofficial Top 5 Tracks From Taylor Swift's 'Folklore'

Dreamy indie music and some of her best lyrics of all time? Yes, please.

3
The Spinoff

On July 24th, singer-songwriter Taylor Swift released her eighth studio album, Folklore. With less than a 24-hour notice, fans from all over the globe tweeted and posted about the secret album's release in unanimous excitement. After listeners had time to unpack and unravel all of the songs, it became clear that Folklore is unlike any other album Taylor has released thus far. It features poetic lyrics and somber beats that are reinventive yet very reminiscent of her Red album from 2012.

Like most albums, there were some tracks that definitely stood out over others. Here my top five picks:

Exile (feat. Bon Iver)

Bon Iver's verse in the beginning is, quite simply, unmatched. The lyrics in Exile are so despondent yet so relatable for listeners, it might make you want to wrap yourself in blankets and lay in bed for a few hours.

The 1 

The concept of "the one that got away" is not a new trope within music, but this song taps into the raw, unfinished emotions behind this idea. In this track, Taylor writes about how she wishes it would've worked out with a certain person, saying: We were something, don't you think so? / Roaring twenties, tossing pennies in the pool / But if my wishes came true, it would've been you.

Cardigan 

This song is fantastic on its own, but the accompanying music video she released the same night of her album drop elevates it even further. There is something whimsical and simultaneously somber about Cardigan that is so unique. Fans have taken to social media saying Cardigan will probably be the go-to song for this upcoming fall.

My Tears Ricochet 

Whenever Taylor Swift and fellow singer-songwriter Jack Antonoff get together, magic happens. In track 5, they wrote and created one of the most heartbreaking songs the artist has released thus far. You can add this one to your sad playlist - right next to All Too Well and White Horse.

Fans have speculated that the concept of her not being able to return home in My Tears Ricochet is an allusion to her relationship with Big Machine Records, her previous record label. However, this has not been confirmed by Swift.

Mirrorball

Regarding this album, Taylor said, "I started with imagery. Visuals that popped into my mind and piqued my curiosity."

One of those images she entertained in her songwriting process was a mirrored disco ball. In Mirrorball, the sixth track on Folklore, there is a distinctly vintage sound and beautiful, romantic lyrics that are simply captivating: I'm still on my tallest tiptoes / spinning in my highest heels, love / shining just for you.

You can stream Folklore by Taylor Swift anywhere you listen to music!