The Ultimate List of Road Trip Tips & Tricks

16.) Know what to do if you get a flat tire.

63
Personal Photo

Just as I promised last week, I have compiled my ultimate list of travel tips and tricks for any (and all!) of your road trips. So, without further adieu: here goes!

1. Never pay full price for a hotel.

Start by looking at CouchSurfing, this is a free app that is similar to AirBnB except your stays at locals’ houses are free! (Pro CouchSurfing Tip: make sure that you read all of the reviews on a person before you request to stay with them. Typically you can get a tremendously accurate feel for how your experience will be at someone’s home if you’ve read what other people have to say about their stays.) However, if the city you’re looking to stay in doesn’t have any CouchSurfers available, be sure to check AirBnB next. One of the most wonderful things about travel today is that there are a lot of ways to save money if you’re willing to work a little bit with networks and technology.

2. Pack as much food from home as possible.

College Students- this is where you break the rules and grab some of that cereal and/or fruit and take it in a few to-go containers from the dining hall. And if you have a little extra give in your budget, go to the grocery store and pick up some reasonably priced, non-perishable snack food for the road; that way you won’t have to stop as often and it will be more cost effective than having to purchase every meal.

3. Make sure that you have a refillable water bottle and coffee thermos with you (as well as some water flavoring, instant coffee packets and tea!)

When you’re trying to take a road trip with as little cost involved as possible, it would be foolish to pay for water or coffee along the way. You can fill up your refillable water bottle in the gas station restrooms and add water flavoring to it if you’re particular about how water tastes or are simply looking for a different flavor. As for the instant coffee and tea, a lot of rest stops/gas stations will allow you to have boiling water for no cost so just ask! That way, you get your hot, caffeinated drink of choice without any additional cost.

4. Pack a cooler and tupperware.

When you stop at a restaurant or have complimentary breakfast at the hotel, it’s helpful to take a piece of fruit or whatever leftover food may be on your plate for later. This is easier if you have neat tools to pack it in!

5. Have a backpack/large bag on your passenger seat packed with necessities.

Whatever you think you may need on the road should be easily accessible to you. The best way to do this would be to mentally think through what you may need (even if it isn’t particularly likely) and pack those items in a specific bag that will sit shotgun. This way, if you do need something, it will be simple for you to pull to the side of the road and retrieve it without having to get out and rummage through your backseat. And make sure that your wallet is sitting directly next to you (not in the bag!) because it may be necessary for a number of situations.

6. Don’t be hesitant to stop at a gas station for a few Z’s (DON’T DRIVE TIRED), just let the attendant know what you’re doing and aim to stop at a truck stop.

Driving while drowsy is nearly as bad as driving drunk. Do not, under any circumstances, drive while you are drowsy; instead stop at a gas station and let the attendant know that you’re going to take a quick nap (this is particularly important if you are travelling alone!) Set a timer and keep going when you feel awake and alert.

7. Check all of your coupon sites before you leave.

Groupon is especially helpful but you can also check sites such as Retail Me Not, Cartwheel and/or Ibotta if you’re stocking up before you hit the road. Groupon allows you to check for coupons for hotels, food, tourist sites, etc. And every penny counts!

8. If you’re not familiar with the route your driving, map it out before you leave and give someone else that map… and update them along the way!

You should know where you’re going so that if something happens along the way, you’re aware of your location and where the nearest town is. And if you don’t happen to make it to your destination, you’re going to want someone looking for you!

9. Don’t rely solely upon your phone or GPS… pack a map just in case!

I know that technology is great but it’s only great when it actually works so you should have a backup plan... just in case.

10. Put your phone on “Do Not Disturb” and set specific people’s phone calls to “override.”

The harm of distracted driving is not solely about your well-being, it is about the harm that you can do to those around you. Your phone doing so much as lighting up is a distraction so put it on “Do Not Disturb,” that way the opportunity to be distracted is never present. And if you want your mom’s or your boyfriend’s call to override that mode, you can do that too so as to be informed if an emergency were to occur back home.

11. Spend those random gift cards first!

I know, sometimes when you’re on the road you’re just craving that one particular food chain but if you do you have some random gift cards floating around in your wallet from your wacky Aunt Julia, then use those first if you can.

12. Have a pre-made roadtrip playlist.

Again, do not allow your phone or anything else to be a distraction. If you have a pre-made playlist, you can plug in your phone and put it upside down on your passenger seat. Put your ringer on and those important people’s calls will override “Do Not Disturb” and play over the radio.

13. Have a blanket, pillow and winter gear (if it’s cold) packed in your trunk.

All of these things are so vital if you break down… or want to take a nap!

14. Make sure that you have more than one phone charger packed.

Technology can be unreliable and having a phone is incredibly important while on the road so be prepared!

15. Pack pepper spray or mace if possible.

It never hurts to be ready to protect yourself if necessary. If you breakdown on the side of a sketchy area or at night, it will make you feel more secure if you have some way to defend yourself.

16. Know what to do if you get a flat tire or run out of gas or anything goes wrong with your car for that matter.

Honestly, I highly recommend that you have a Triple A membership before any significant roadtrip you are taking. They are fantastic and charge hardly anything per year! That way, if you get a flat tire, run out of gas or anything else goes wrong you can just call them and they will tow your car a few hundred miles for no additional cost!

17. When you leave your car, don’t leave valuables in a highly visible position.

This one’s fairly obvious, whenever you leave your car nothing like a wallet, cash, technology, etc. Should be highly visible to someone who were to walk by.

18. Bring sunglasses.

Even if you don’t think you’ll need them, pack a pair anyways.

19. Run your car down to “empty.”

It’s scientifically proven that your car will be more gas friendly if you consistently run it down to empty before refilling so this tactic will save you money, but it will also save you time as you won’t stop as frequently!

20. If you have a Triple A membership, check out all of their travel deals before you leave!

Triple A is not only great for the protection that they offer if something goes wrong, but for all of their hotel, food and travel deals! For instance, you can get a discount at Denny’s if you present a Triple A membership card. Always check!

21. Use rest stops rather than gas stations whenever they’re an option.

Rest stops save you time because they’re not as far off the freeway as gas stations, they offer space to sit or walk around and there’s less temptations to buy snack foods.

22. Be aware of what road you’re on as well as the mile markers if you’re on a freeway.

If you need to call Triple A or the police department, they are going to be able to find you faster if you know about what mile marker you’re at. Do your best to notice along them as frequently as you can.

23. Don’t eat total junk, pack healthy meals and snacks.

Junk food will only make you feel lethargic and sick. Choosing carrots rather than potato chips will keep you feeling awake longer and you won’t feel so bogged down by grease. (Oh, and carrots are great when you feel a little bit drowsy because the crunch will keep you more alert!)

Now, although not all of these tips may apply to you… I most certainly hope that at least some of them help you in your future travels!

As someone incredibly wise once said “To travel is to live.”