The Truths About Being A Christian In 2020

To clarify before I start this article, being a Christian is 110% the best decision I've ever made, and I wouldn't change it for the world. That being said, in today's society, sometimes Christianity is a little uncomfortable and scary, not because of any part of the actual relationship with Christ, but because of people's reaction to us. I just want to sit down and talk about some of the things that actually happen to Christians in America today.

The Good

I really don't want anyone thinking that Christianity is constantly this terrifying thing. Christianity is amazing. You always have this ever-supportive, loving family that you can turn to at any time for any of your needs.

Need some prayers? Church family. Need someone to just talk to because you're going through a rough time? Church family. Need some food because you're hungry? Y'all, I don't know where you go to church at, but I promise you, at my church one of the Sunday school teachers will always have some kind of food in their room that they're more than willing to share, and if they don't, it's because we're having a big lunch right after the service, and you definitely don't want to miss out on that because each lady in the Women's Sunday school class has brought their most popular recipe, and they have perfected it over the years.

All jokes aside though, having a personal relationship with Jesus is an incredible thing, and I don't want anyone to think I don't love every minute of it. Sharing the love of Jesus with the people around me is very literally what I was born to do, and I wouldn't trade it for absolutely anything else.

The Bad

That being said, there are some parts about Christianity that are a little rough.

You want me to be honest? A lot of people do not like Christians. Rather this is because they've had a bad encounter with a "Christian" before, or because they don't understand what it's actually about, people just tend not to like us.

As a Christian, people assume I'm racist, homophobic, and that I hate people of other religions, amongst other things. This could not be any farther from the truth. Quite frankly, I don't give a rat's flying phalange what your skin color is because it doesn't matter, you were made by God and in His image. As far as all of the other things that people tend to believe that Christians hate; Christianity is based around love. You cannot be a follower of Jesus Christ and hate people because of a sin. We sin just like everyone else, we aren't special, and we aren't exempt from temptation and sinning, we just have someone to turn to for forgiveness. True Christians do not hate anyone, we are a loving people.

The Ugly

The Bible talks about the persecution of God's people continuously, and it's an uncomfortable subject. No one wants to be tormented by people, or hurt, or killed because of their religion, but that's just what happens. Romans 8:18 says, "For I consider that the sufferings of this present time are not worth comparing with the glory that is to be revealed to us."

We are willing to run the risk of being persecuted because we want everyone to experience the love of Christ, and we know that, in the end, it will all be worth it. That does not mean that I am not sometimes scared that someone won't try to hurt me when I bow my head to pray over my food in a restaurant, I am. That doesn't mean that when people say horribly mean things to me, simply because I'm a Christian, that it doesn't hurt my feelings, it does.

Being a Christian can be scary and lonely sometimes, but it is all worth it. Matthew 5:10 says, "Blessed are those who are persecuted for righteousness' sake, for theirs is the kingdom of heaven." That is what gets us through those times.

Again, and I feel like I can't stress this enough, I love being a follower of Jesus. There is no doubt in my mind that it isn't amazing, it is. I just wanted people to see that there are good and bad aspects to it, just like anything else. However, despite all the bad things that go on, the good things are so worth it, and it will be even more so when I'm in the kingdom, worshipping with every other Christian that's ever lived.