The Truth About Being an Out-of-State College Student

Because home is where the heart is.

19
pexels.com

The prospect of going out of state for college is an exciting one! You pack our lift up into cardboard boxes and nothing ahead of you is certain. However, when you go to college out of state, there are certain truths that you come to know.

Here are five truths every out-of-state college students can relate to:

1. Any reference to the place you live turns into a celebration.

The instant you hear any reference to your state, you’re eyes instantly light up and your ears perk. Whether it’s a TV show, a baseball game on ESPN, or random license plate, you are loud and proud about what state you come from.

2. You can't stand it when people complain about missing but they only 30 minutes away.

If you’re out of state then you definitely know the aches and pains of listening to in-state students rant about missing home. When you’re more than a tank of gas away from home, then you know the real pains of missing home.

3. You hate when natives think you have an accent.

Say *insert any word*. Just because the intonation of my a’s is different than yours doesn’t mean that I am in any way inferior to you. Ps. - it’s milk not melk.

4. You're completely and 100% directionally challenged.

Navigating anything in a new state is hard enough without natives constantly making fun of you for not knowing how to get anywhere. Basically, the only direction you need are to the nearest Target anyways.

5. Even though you're having a blast at college, a part of you always misses home.

Living away from home is great because: 1. freedom 2. freedom. Even though you love being away from home, there’s really nothing like pulling into your driveway and knowing that you’re really home.

No matter how far away we stray for college, there will always be a little part of us stuck back in the place we grew up. Even if we'd never admit it, there' s truly no place like home.