My Top 10 Superhero Movies Of All Time

My Top 10 Superhero Movies Of All Time

In anticipation for this summer's superhero flicks, I have ranked the best of the best.

101
My Top 10 Superhero Movies Of All Time
Screen Crush

Summer is just around the corner, and we all know what that means...more superhero movies. It goes without saying that there is virtually no end in sight for what has been referred to as the Golden Age of Superhero Movies. I wouldn't go so far as to call it a "golden" age; if you ask me, a good chunk of these spandex-clad popcorn flicks have suffered from too many by-the-numbers origin stories, flat characterizations, and the fact that each new film either tries to one-up the classics, bow down to them, or simply do nothing but set the stage for inevitable sequels (I'm looking at you, "Batman v Superman").

This all may sound like I am just about ready to quit these movies for good, especially if Marvel announces the next 20 installments it has planned for release after 2019. In all actuality, I whole-heartedly believe that watching superhero movie after superhero movie has probably been one of the most unique, if not one of the best, experiences of my moviegoing life. To see a genre that wasn't taken too seriously when I was a kid now flourishing is something that, to a certain degree, shouldn't be taken for granted. Whether or not we need, or deserve, so many of these movies is up for debate, but there is no question that this ever-growing phenomenon has become a pop-culture movement in its own right.

I am ready for whatever "Captain America: Civil War" has to offer, and I'm even more excited for the balls-to-the-wall insanity of "Suicide Squad." Yet as that familiar superhero scent approaches, I find myself feeling a little nostalgic, as I'm sure most comic book movie fans tend to do around this time of year. So before all the new titles hit theaters, it's time I count down my Top 10 Superhero Movies (plus a few honorable mentions).

10. "Guardians of the Galaxy"

Kicking off this list is the Marvel movie that defied all odds. A galactic adventure featuring a bunch of no-name characters, including a talking raccoon with a humanoid tree for a sidekick? How on Xandar did this become such a hit? Well, if "Star Wars" was any indication, it's that films that look this strange can work if enough attention is paid to their characters. James Gunn (who also helmed the gem "Super") did just that, resulting in a film that exceeded expectations and turned its five lovable misfits into household names.

9. "Kick-Ass"

Few superhero movies have matched the awesomeness of this gleefully twisted action comedy. The catch here is that Kick-Ass, Hit-Girl, Big Daddy and Red Mist really have no business being superheroes, as they are without any actual superpowers. Of course, this doesn't stop these wildly profane comic book nerds in their pursuit to fight crime and save lives.

8. "The Avengers"

Arguably the most ambitious superhero film of its time, this long-awaited entry in the Marvel Cinematic Universe had more to juggle than just its dynamic ensemble. It had to live up to its source material, please long-time fans, thrill new ones, and ultimately be good enough to justify Marvel's investment in bringing its beloved characters together on screen for the first time. Joss Whedon's smart script and assured direction made this film not only a big winner at the box office, but also a staple of the superhero genre.

7. "Spider-Man"

Before any of the Avengers ruled the box office and became the center of attention during the blockbuster season, one Marvel character dominated the rest. Sam Raimi's wondrous interpretation of everyone's favorite wall-crawling, web-slinging hero set new standards for a genre that was slowly-but-surely gaining popularity. To this very day, it is still one of the best origin stories ever told on screen.

6. "Spider-Man 2"

Rare is it when a sequel improves upon its predecessor in nearly every way. Without a doubt, this one ranks among the greatest sequels ever made. As a standalone superhero story, it deserves equal recognition. While Sam Raimi raised the stakes in terms of spectacle, he also delved deeper into the emotions of the characters, posing thoughtful questions about what it truly means to be a hero. There are also themes of self-sacrifice, needs and desires, and relationships. Plus it has one of the best super-villains of all time.

5. "Chronicle"

Found-footage it too-often associated with horror, but what happens when you use it to tell a superhero story? You get one of most unique entries in the entire genre; a film that makes the idea of having superpowers freshly compelling. Josh Trank's impressive first film takes its subject matter pretty seriously, asking what would happen if three high-school boys (a loner, a slacker and a hot-shot) were suddenly bestowed with telekinetic abilities. The results of their new skills range from the dazzling to the deadly.

4. "The Incredibles"

During the same year that Sam Raimi's game-changing Spider-Man sequel was released, Disney-Pixar unleashed its own spin on the genre. Helmed by Brad Bird ("The Iron Giant" and "Ratatouille"), this brilliant blend of humor, style and action works not just as a superhero film, but also as a loving satire of family life. It's much-wanted sequel is set to be released during the summer of 2019. I'm not sure if I can wait that long.

3. "Batman Begins"

The Batman film franchise was the first of its kind to be put through the Hollywood reboot machine. After the unspeakable atrocity that was "Batman & Robin," many doubted that the Caped Crusader would ever return to his former glory. Under the impeccable direction of Christopher Nolan, this film would become more than just a great origin story. It would transcend nearly every limitation of its genre by incorporating real-world elements into the overall concept and by putting a strong emphasis on drama.

2. "The Dark Knight Rises"

In terms of both scale and emotion, no other superhero film has been quite as epic as Christopher Nolan's monumental conclusion to his Dark Knight trilogy. Running just fifteen minutes shy of three hours, the film pits Batman against his most formidable enemy, while the rest of Gotham City is plunged into unrelenting despair. Thematically, it puts most final chapters to shame, delivering a sensational third act that contains some of the highest-stakes action ever put to celluloid.

1. "The Dark Knight"

Choosing the film that would take the top spot on this list was a no-brainer. Christopher Nolan's visionary crime thriller may as well be the end-all and be-all of superhero movies. Combining popcorn excitement with exquisite storytelling, this stellar sequel (which also works perfectly well as a standalone feature) is the epitome of great blockbuster filmmaking, featuring captivating performances (especially Heath Ledger's unforgettable turn as the Joker), a gritty atmosphere and breakneck action sequences that still amaze nearly a decade after its incredible debut.

HONORABLE MENTIONS:

"Captain America: The Winter Soldier"
"Hellboy II: The Golden Army"
"X-Men: Days of Future Past"
"Deadpool"
"Watchmen"
"Batman Returns"