The Thief

The Thief

A Short Story Series
30

"What exactly does that mean, Liv?" Mitch asked.

Olivia looked to Luka. She wasn't sure how much the others had been told.

"Luka?" Olivia asked timidly.

"Go ahead, Olivia. I trust these two with my life."

She nodded and swallowed hard.

"So, I'm not really sure how much Luka has told you-" Olivia started.

"Next to nothing, doll. We know you had orders to infiltrate and then we were called in to patch ya up." Mitch interjected.

"Well that's the short story. There's a bit more to it than that."

"Wait, how did ya even get into Damien's crew? He knows our faces." Mitch interrupted.

Olivia put her hands on her hips and blew a strand of hair out of her face. She tapped her foot impatiently.

"Mitch, why don't you let the poor girl talk." Chris said while plopping down onto Olivia's couch.

He stretched his long limbs out so that he was taking up the entire couch.

"Alright, alright." Mitch grumbled.

Luka positioned himself on the armrest of her love seat and gestured for her to continue.

"About five years ago, Luka sent me undercover. Damien and his crew had started to become more of a problem for us and were pretty invested in messing with us. We needed information. At the time, I was one of the few people that Damien had never seen. In fact, I'd never really been seen by half of our members. I've always flown under the radar, so I guess it made the most sense to choose me."

"That and you are one of the most talented thieves we've ever had in our ranks to date." Luka added.

Olivia's face flushed.

"I'm sure that isn't true. Anyways, I was given the mission to find and infiltrate Damien's ranks. In order to gather the best information, I had to move up the ranks quickly. In order to do this, I had to prove myself. Luka devised a plan in which I "stole" an item from the Daggers and the handed it over to Damien in a show of loyalty."

Olivia paused, shifting her weight from foot to foot. The next part was hard enough for her to explain to herself, let alone to the people she thought of as family.

"It worked. Damien took me in with pretty much no questions asked. I started off in the lower positions, stuff like organizing supplies. I moved through the ranks quickly, making sure I was the best in every position he put me in. I ended up at the top. I was pulled into Damien's group of favorites. That's where things got a bit trickier. Obviously, information was leaking out and Damien eventually caught on. He knew he had a mole and explained in vivid detail what he would do to the person if he ever found out who it was."

Olivia paused to take a shaky breath. She could feel her entire body trembling as she recounted her story.

"I called Luka as soon as I could get to a safe space. We were left with two options, either I disappeared or I got closer to Damien. We decided that...we decided....it was...uhm...we-" Olivia trailed off.

Olivia tried to stammer out the words but couldn't seem to find any. Luka quickly stood in order to place a reassuring hand on her shoulder.

"I decided that she should stay. The information that she was gathering for us was too valuable. In the first six months she'd been there, she'd already fed us enough information to finally get an upper hand on Damien. We didn't know enough about his favorites or Damien himself to get close enough to end the feud. So I felt that Olivia was still needed there."

Olivia nodded and cleared her throat.

"So I stayed. Luka was right to think that Damien would be suspicious of me. Not long after I talked to Luka, I noticed Damien stopped sending me in particular on solo missions. I was always being watched. I followed the plan. There was nothing else for me to do. I called Damien out on watching me but played it off as if he was interested in me for other reasons. It turned out that Damien was interested in me for other reasons. He was attracted to me. The only way to continue with the mission was to play along. So I did."

Olivia whispered the last bit and stared directly at the floor. She could feel Chris's eyes on her and assumed they'd be filled with rage. She felt a tear slide down her cheek and watched as it landed on the floor. The trembling that had started as she recounted her story had turned into shaking as she refused to meet the eyes of anyone else in the room.

"So what? Did ya toy with him or somethin'? There's no harm in a little flirtin' girly." Mitch teased.

"I engaged in a fake relationship with Damien for nearly a year."

She heard someone spring up from their spot and start to walk over to her. She saw Luka move to stand in front of her.

"She was on orders." Luka said in a low voice.

"I know." She heard Chris say.