I’m Declaring This Summer The ‘Summer Of Me’

No one else can control your life. It's up to you.

1829
Photo of girl overlooking ocean.
Unsplash

Last summer was tough, and there are many words to describe how everyone felt during that time.

I'm sick of talking about 'you know what' and want to get on with my life. This is why I'm going into the summer of 2021 with the mindset that it will be the best. If you ever watched The Middle, one of the characters named Sue declares her senior year as 'the year of Sue' as a way to mark a year of self-discovery. I'm declaring this summer as my summer. I'm going to use this summer as a time of sculpting myself into who I am meant to be.

I'm a firm believer in utilizing turning points in life in order to make myself better.

Summer is a perfect time for self-discovery. You aren't burdened by the school or even if you are taking a few classes it isn't as tough as it usually is. You aren't surrounded by all your friends, which means that you aren't spending all your free time with friends. There isn't anything wrong with hanging with friends, but it's also important to spend time with yourself.

One of the common misconceptions of self-betterment comes from listening to what society or friends tell you to do.

Who I am is all up to me to discover. It is up to me to find hobbies and to test new things to find what fits best in my life. No one else can tell me what works for me — only I can decide that. It is also important to open yourself up to any adventures and not be afraid to fail. Try things that are outside your comfort zone, and if they don't feel right, you never have to do it again.

Use the summer to find interests that work for you.

The best thing about free will is that you can choose what to do with your time. If doing something makes you stressed or you dread doing it, don't do it. I experienced picking a hobby that ended up being stressful. I always thought that the best way to get in shape was to attend a gym. However, I have since learned that isn't the case for me. I learned that I like to work out at home, through mini-workouts on Youtube or workout apps.

Just remember that life is up to you on how you live it. No one else can control your life. It's up to you.