The Strings on My Guitar

The way that I play guitar is my very own style. That goes for everyone else, not just me. Some may have a similar style of playing but your way is your very own style. No one can take that from you. Your play style can be attributed to yourself. For me, hearing each string as I strum each single one gives such a relief to my ears. From the G chord to the C chord. A swift motion is all you need to hear such sounds come from it. My playing style is what fits me the most and how I like to hear music from my guitar. For you it may be different.

When I first started, I had no clue where learning this instrument would take me. What the possibilities were for me. Meeting new people with just a pluck of a string. I was in school once and I was just relaxing in one of the rooms. Then a boy that I didn't know walked in and asked if it was okay to play in there and I said I had no objections to it at all. I had told him that I played as well and asked me if I wanted to play after he did. Trust me, this guy had such musical talents that I didn't have. The way that he switched chords so easily and the way he slid on the strings seemed so easy. I wasn't a stranger to playing but I was always open to seeing how others played and learning from them as well. We both showcased what we had to offer and we were both astounded by what we were doing. He wanted to learn a song that I picked up from when I first started playing guitar. The song was "Fast Car" by Tracy Chapman. He liked the song due to it's medium tempo and the soft beat that was produced.

I ended up getting a new guitar when I thought that it was finally time to move on from my beginner one. I walked into the store and my dad had told me to get one that felt comfortable to me. The first one I picked up, which was a Taylor guitar, just felt right. It felt like I was suppose to gravitate towards this one guitar.

The way that it played, the strings felt so similar and there was no ring on the frets. I played it in the shop like I was at my own house. It was hilarious because I didn't even realize I was singing a little bit and I built a small little crowd listening to me. I've recently noticed as well that I started to do a sort of slap/flick motion when I play sometimes because I started to play more of John Mayers songs. Including "Stop This Train" and "The Heart of Life". I sort of transitioned that into my playing as well.

Playing the guitar has easily been one of the better parts of my life and has been with me for years. It's what I go to when I'm feeling low. It brings me back just when I play a single note. It's my escape, it's where I love to go to. It's something that will always be by my side. Just me and the strings on my guitar.