The Squirrel Story

The Squirrel Story

Sex, Furries, and the L Train

44
The Squirrel Story

In pop culture, many kids ask their parents the age-old question, “Where do babies come from?” For me I never got the chance. Being in catholic school they had the teachers do it.

I didn't really care or think much of it, but when I was 15 something changed that thought. And it happened in the most unusual way. At the tender age of 15 I was well aware of what sex was and what it looked like (my dad took me to see the film “The Hangover”, need I say more). I was taking the L train from Broadway Junction to 14th Street -Union Square. From Union Square, I would take the 6 train to 51st Street.

I had a good book as well as a turkey sandwich to help me sleep better on the train, if I got tired, which I knew I would. My train ride was smooth as usual... at least until Wilson Avenue. That's when things took a turn for the stranger. Two people got on and sat in the small love seat adjacent from me.

Now I knew instantly that they were some type of Eastern European due to a thick accent of some kind being thrown about in their conversations. I was trying not to listen but at the same time I couldn’t look away.

The real strange things about them were that they were dressed in squirrel costumes and that their gender was hard to determine. Now for those of you who guessed these people were furies, you’re probably right, but at the time I didn’t know about that. As far as I knew they were going to a costume party.

Either they were very feminine men or very masculine women. Soon they started to snuggle up next to each which then moved to kissing. It was heartwarming, for those who still have a heart or feelings. Then it became 50 Shades of Grey, with one going so far, the other would know what they had for lunch.

After this they went between the cars. I thought they might be going to the next car or smoking a cigarette. After a few minutes, I heard a loud banging sound coming from the window next to me. As I looked over it was the couple....Nope. Screw it they were having sex!

In that moment, it was like watching some sort of beautiful car accident. These people seemed strange to me at the time because it was both a tender moment and a savage moment. After a few stops they got off the train and I had the image of their climax burned into my retina. I didn't know what to do because I was the only one seeing this. Then one of them gestures to me to join in. I lost it in that moment and never looked back. Well they got in a nice afternoon delight and then got off the train.

After that I got on the 6 train and started screaming because I had the whole car to myself. After that I was able to calm down and realize that was the only time I would see something like that. That afternoon, I learned that sex isn't just a three-letter word. That it can be passion at the Four Seasons, or a quirky on the subway. One thing’s for sure... those people had impeccable balance.