The Spain Diaries: Part 2

The Spain Diaries: Part 2

Week 2 of my study abroad experience.

50
The Spain Diaries: Part 2
Granadatur

As I promised in "The Spain Diaries: Part 1" after living in the country for a little over two weeks, sure enough, I have uncovered a few more Spanish quirks that I couldn't wait to share.

1. Slow Walkers

If you thought getting stuck behind people in crowded hallways with no sense of urgency in high school was bad, (well honestly, that's probably still worse) being caught behind locals during my 30-minute trek from my homestay to campus is still pretty painful. Even people dressed to the nines in business attire speaking quickly into their cell phones don't seem to be in any particular rush to get to their destination. What can occasionally make this a bit more unpleasant is even when there is plenty of room on the sidewalks (and thank goodness for that, because walking seems to be the preferred mode of transportation in Granada), older women will sometimes force you to dodge them with Matrix-level coordination, even if there is more than enough space for them to veer towards your left or right. At least the weather always makes for a pleasant atmosphere at 8:00 in the morning.

2. Lack of Lined Paper

Granted, I probably should have packed some more school supplies, but I was surprised to learn that most of the notebooks sold in Spain are either completely blank and unlined or they have grid paper! When one of my peers asked about it during orientation, one of our study abroad program directors simply told us that "lined paper is for little kids" and those in higher level classes are expected to have neat enough handwriting to not need the lines! However, I am a visual learner and I like to draw pictures in my notes to help me remember the information, so the lack of lines actually keeps the drawings neater.

3. No Tipping

(This one is probably more well-known, but I'm including it anyway). Unlike in the United States, tipping your waiter, waitress, or bartender is not required as they receive a standard minimum wage that is not expected to be supplemented by tips. However, if they are serving a larger group upwards of five people, it is considered acceptable to leave 1 or 2 euros for them as a thank you.

4. Year-Round Christmas

As an avid fan of Christmas music, I am certainly not complaining, but one instance that made everyone in my program turn our heads was when we were all eating in a restaurant during orientation and heard the familiar tune to "Last Christmas" playing over the speakers. Again, we asked our program directors why they would be playing Christmas music at the end of September, and they told us that they didn't even know it was considered a Christmas song as many "granadinos" do not speak English!

5. "No pasa nada"

"Don't worry about it" is a common and appropriate phrase when it comes to living in Spain. The Spanish lifestyle is a great deal more relaxed than that in the United States, and I'm finding that I'm adjusting to this mindset rather well. It's always sunny, nap time is automatically scheduled into every day and of course, there are an abundance of gelato stands if you're in need of a quick snack in between lunch and dinner.

When in Spain, do as the Spaniards do!