"The Society" Is The Only Netflix Show That Matters Right Now

A spoiler-free review on this summer's must-watch!

540

I'm the absolute worst at watching TV shows, that's just a fact. I can count the number of shows I've finished on one hand and still have fingers left over. I've realized I get distracted and bored pretty easily, so it's rare for me to become hooked enough on a show to sit down and binge-watch it. But now that it's summer, I graduated and I'm unemployed (believe me, it's not as fun as it sounds), I've set my mind on finding at least a couple of shows that can save me from boredom. One of the first shows I came across on my Netflix homepage was the new teen drama "The Society." Trusting the match score percentage provided by them, I decided to give it a try. Let me just start by saying I was not mentally prepared for what I was about to get myself into for the following 10 hours.

"The Society" follows a group of high school students that go on a weekend-long school trip and come back to find their hometown of West Ham completely deserted. And as if that wasn't spooky enough, they have no Wi-Fi nor phone reception (I know, truly frightening) and all exits have been blocked as the small town is now surrounded by dense forest. They have been completely cut off from the rest of the world and as the reality of their situation sinks in, chaos erupts. There are no adults and no rules; no sense of right and wrong neither of ownership or responsibilities. Together, they have to create a functioning society in order to survive.

Think of it as a modern-day take on two classic novels you probably read in high school, "Lord of the Flies" and "Animal Farm," except they're teenagers and hormones are all over the place. There's love triangles, cliques, rivalries, sex and drugs –you know, just the average high school drama.

But beyond that, the show makes a strong social commentary. You'll realize that, despite being fiction, it's a lot more real than you think. Throughout this first season, the series tackles certain issues such as gun control, sexual assault, homophobia, mental health, and domestic violence. Furthermore, it makes you think about politics, social construct, and criminal justice (yeah, it can get that deep). On top of all that, the characters are also trying to figure out what the heck happened to them, to their families or the whole town for that matter. The mystery and the drama becomes addictive and you won't be able to stop watching.

As I said, I'm not one for recommending TV shows, but I'm telling you guys, "The Society" is a definite must-watch.