The Sixth House: Daily Grind

The Sixth House: Daily Grind

What the Sixth House represents in astrology

420
The Sixth House: Daily Grind
Playing in the Pages

Natural Sign: Virgo

Ruling Planet: Mercury

Quadrant: 2nd (Bottom Right)

House Type: Cadent Substance

Represents: daily routine, health, organization, service, work

The Sixth House is where you take care of yourself on a day-to-day basis. Virgo and Mercury (particularly the more practical and analytical side of Mercury) are the sign and planet which rule this house. Here is where you bring yourself down to earth and focus on what needs to be done. As pleasant as it sounds to have fun every day, we can’t glide in the Fifth House forever. We have to be responsible with our bodies, minds, and jobs, as well as other people. We can’t feed, clothe, or shelter ourselves without doing some kind of work. We can’t keep our bodies and minds sharp if we don’t keep them busy. Our health goes under fire if we don’t eat well, get enough sleep, and exercise. And one of the best ways to feel fulfilled is by helping others. The Sixth House is where we put ourselves to good use.

The sign and planets you have in this house reveals your style of planning. Do you have a planner where you schedule every quarter-hour increment, or do you do everything on a whim? Do you go day-by-day, or are you all set for the entire year? Do you feel nonchalant when changes are made to your agenda? Or does it infuriate you? Scorpio in the Sixth House could lend to extremes in the daily routine: either overscheduling to the point of obsession or ignoring planning ahead, altogether. Aries may start a new routine, only to start a different one after a few weeks; alternatively, Aries here can just mean a very active day-to-day life. Someone with Pisces and Saturn in the Sixth House can have a very hard time getting on the move, as Pisces is a very relaxed sign, and Saturn shows where we have restrictions.

Of the matters we structure throughout our lives, work and health are two of our highest priorities. They go hand in hand: if we’re not healthy, we can’t work; if we don’t work (or if we overwork) we can’t stay healthy. Our diets, exercise regimens, and other methods we use to keep our bodies and minds sharp are shown in this immensely conscientious house. Capricorn here could definitely lead someone to overwork themselves, or bring issues in the bones and knees. Taurus here means work that doesn’t cause the person to rush him-/herself, or it can bring about throat problems such as laryngitis. Sun in the Sixth House means work and good health give you pride and confidence, while Mars here can make a busybody who prefers fast-paced work. Mercury in Aquarius in the Sixth House can very likely show someone who works with computers (Mercury is intellect; Aquarius is technology).

For the Sixth House, it’s not only about taking care of yourself and your responsibilities. A large part of this house is helping and assisting others, and the means through which you serve them. Maybe you help children in need by volunteering in an orphanage (Cancer), travel to other countries to help with disaster relief (Sagittarius), or serve as a student teacher in an elementary school (Gemini). Maybe the help you give is spiritual (Neptune) or comes in the form of love advice (Venus). You can help people improve their optimism and self-esteem (Jupiter in Leo here), defend innocent victims on trial (Saturn in Libra), or prepare food in a soup kitchen (Mars in Taurus). There are so many ways to support your fellow man. The Sixth House is one place where you can figure out your own special style of service.

Next Article: “The Seventh House: It Takes Two”