The Reason For The Season

The Reason For The Season

"On this day, a Savior is born."

35
The Reason For The Season
Pexels.com

As Christmas is growing near, the hustle and bustle of gathering Christmas gifts, putting up our trees, and preparing the table for friends and family seemingly takes over our lives. In these times of chaos is when we truly need to sit down and remember why we are celebrating this holiday in the first place. As Christians, it is our duty to share the true meaning of Christmas and what it means to us. We need to remember, "Jesus is the reason for the season."

So why do Christians celebrate Christmas? Let me tell you the Christmas Story: The Birth of Jesus.

A long time ago, about 2000 years, while a leader named King Herod ruled over Judea (today, part of Israel), God sent the angel Gabriel to tell a young woman named Mary who lived in Nazareth and was engaged to marry Joseph, that she was to have a baby. The angel said to her: "Peace be with you! God has blessed you and is pleased with you. Don't be afraid, God has been very kind to you. You will become pregnant by the Holy Spirit and give birth to a baby boy and you will call him Jesus. He will be God's own Son and his kingdom will never end." Now Mary was afraid, but she trusted God.

She replied saying, "Let it happen as God chooses." The angel Gabriel also told Mary that her cousin Elizabeth was to have a baby boy who God had chose to prepare the way for Jesus. This came as another surprise, as Elizabeth was thought to be too old to have a child.

Mary then went to see her cousin Elizabeth and her husband Zechariah. Elizabeth already knew that Mary had been chosen by God. An angel told Zechariah that their baby was to be named John. Mary would stay with her cousin for a few months before returning home to Nazareth.

Joseph, Mary's soon to be husband, was worried when he found out that Mary was pregnant. He wondered if he should put off the wedding. An angel appeared to Joseph in his dream and said: "Don't be afraid to have Mary as your wife." The angel then explained what was happening and that Mary had been chosen.

At this time, Mary and Joseph lived in part of the Roman Empire. Emperor Augustus ordered everyone to go to the towns where they originally came from to enter their names in a register to make sure that they would pay their taxes. Mary and Joseph would travel about 70 miles from Nazareth to Bethlehem. They would travel slowly with a donkey to help carry the goods because Mary was due to have her baby soon.

Due to the fact that so many people had traveled to register their names, Mary and Joseph struggled to find a place to stay. The only place they could stay was with the animals. So in the place where the animals slept, Mary gave birth to baby Jesus, the Son of God.

He was wrapped in swaddling clothes and placed in a manger. As the day began, an angel appeared before the shepherds watching their sheep and said, "Don't be afraid. I have good news for you and everyone. Today in Bethlehem a Savior has been born for you. You will find the baby lying in a manger." Many more angels would appear and light up the sky. They were heard praising God and singing: "Glory to God in the highest, and peace to everyone on earth."

The shepherds then went to Bethlehem and found Mary and Joseph. They saw the baby Jesus lying in a manger and said that an angel had told everyone the story. They would then return to their flocks and praise God for sending his Son to be their Savior.

When Jesus was born, a bright new star appeared in the sky. Some Wise Men saw the star and set out to find the new king and bring him gifts. They followed the star and when they finally got to Jerusalem they asked, "Where is the child who is born to be king of the Jews?" The King heard this and grew angry. He sent for the Wise Men to come to him. Once they found the baby Jesus, they were to tell the King where he was so that he could go and 'worship him.' Little did they know that this was actually a plan to kill the new king.

When the Wise Men found the baby Jesus, they brought him gifts of gold, frankincense and myrrh. They were warned in a dream, by God, to not return to King Herod. The Wise Men went home after seeing the baby Jesus.

When they had left, an angel appeared to Joseph in a dream saying, "Get up, take Jesus and Mary to escape to Egypt. Stay there until I tell you for Herod is going to search for Jesus and kill him." With this, Joseph did as he was told and they left for Egypt.

When the King heard that he had been tricked by the Wise Men, he sent out orders to kill every boy aged two or younger in Bethlehem and the area around the town. This was his plan to find the king and kill him.

After King Herod had died, Joseph had another dream in which and angel said to him, "Get up, take Jesus and Mary and go back to Israel, for those who were trying to kill Jesus are dead."

With this, they went back to Israel. When they heard the news that Herod's son was now the King of Judea, he was afraid. Joseph would then take them to Galilee, and there they lived in their old town of Nazareth.

While many take time to celebrate the Christmas season with family and friends around the Christmas tree, remember that as you open your Christmas present the true meaning of Christmas: the birth of the Lord and Savior, Jesus. I wish you a Merry Christmas, and Happy Holidays. May there be peace and comfort with you this holiday season. May you feel loved, safe, and at home wherever you are.