Get To Know The Real GOP Frontrunner

Get To Know The Real GOP Frontrunner

3
Get To Know The Real GOP Frontrunner

Republicans now have another option to consider in the growing 15-person field. This month, Scott Walker of Wisconsin announced that he will be seeking the Republican nomination. In honor of Scott Walker’s announcement, here is a cheat sheet to the candidate:

Who is he? A career politician who has only lost two elections, one for the Marquette University student government and the other a failed run for governor in 2006. Walker has served in a variety of positions from the Wisconsin State Assembly to the executive county of Milwaukee County. He won the governorship in 2010 in the traditional blue state of Wisconsin with 52% of the vote. Since his election, he has made headlines and won the praise of conservatives for his anti-union policies. In 2012 there was a large recall effort by his opponents, the first in Wisconsin history, but he made history by becoming the only U.S. governor to survive a recall.

His Track Record:

Abortion: Adamantly pro-life. Governor Walker recently indicated that he would sign a state law banning abortion after 20 weeks, including in cases of rape or incest. He has also sought to defund Plan Parenthood under his tenure as Governor of Wisconsin.

Climate Change: Walker signed a “no climate tax” pledge promising not to support any legislation that would raise taxes to combat climate change and has been a keynote speaker at the Heartland Institute.

Economics: During Walker's first term as governor, the state's $3.6 billion budget deficit was turned into a surplus and taxes were cut by $2 billion. More than 100,000 jobs were created in the state of Wisconsin. However it has yet to regain all the jobs lost during and after the Great Recession of 2007–2009.

Foreign Policy: Advocates for a more aggressive stance in international affairs. "We need a leader who will look the American people in the eye and say we will do whatever it takes – whatever it takes – to make sure that radical Islamic terrorism does not wash up on American soil. I’d rather take the fight to them.”

Gun Control: Advocate of gun rights. Has enacted legislation that allows for concealed carry and castle doctrine in Wisconsin. Received a 100% ranking from the NRA in 2014.

Same-Sex Marriage: Walker voted for Wisconsin's constitutional amendment to ban same-sex marriage, both as a legislator and as a voter. Walker called the U.S. Supreme Court's June 26, 2015 decision to legalize same-sex marriage nationwide a "grave mistake".

Can he win the GOP nomination? Maybe. Gov. Walker has placed highly in recent polls when compared to his future rivals and is viewed as a top tier candidate. He will almost certainly have a spot on stage in upcoming debates. Going against him is the fact that this will be his first time running a national campaign. With other candidates such as Ted Cruz, it will pose a challenge for Walker to gain further support and money from donors. Now with the recent FEC filings, it appears that Walker will have to raise a significant amount to even stay competitive with other candidates like Jeb Bush and Ted Cruz. He also has the habit of playing his own political strategist during campaigns, which could backfire on him in the coming months. However, if he keeps to his strategy of playing to his Midwestern roots in Iowa, it may pay off in the end. All in all he has his work cut out for him.