The Progression Of Taylor Swift In Music Videos

Taylor's music videos show just how much she's changed from her country days.

138
Brit + Co

If you're anything like me, you've seen every single Taylor Swift music video there has ever been to see and ever will be. Each new era of music was full of surprises and sometimes caught us off guard, but we always loved it. With Taylor's most recent release of the music video for "Look What You Made Me Do," I thought it would be appropriate to retrace some of the steps that brought her to where she is now.

Taylor Swift

Tim McGraw

This was always #relationshipgoals for me when I was younger as well as a good cry-along song.

Teardrops On My Guitar

This was the first song I ever heard by Taylor on my tiny Disney princess radio when I was 9 years old and fell in love with Taylor ever since. She was too good for Drew anyways.

Our Song

Like I said before, my little 5th-grade self always wanted a relationship like Taylor sang about in her songs. I mean, how sweet is it for a guy to write a song on a napkin for you, am I right?

Picture To Burn

Oh, the beginning of the rebel anthems. I'll be completely honest, I wasn't allowed to listen to this song but whenever I heard it anywhere in public, I would channel all the sass I could muster up and sing at the top of my lungs.

Fearless

Fifteen

When I turned 15 you can bet I made this my anthem for the year. I was the "redhead Abigail" and my friends were the "Taylor." Can we talk about how this is such a sweet video for her best friend too?

Love Story

I always ALWAYS wanted to stand dramatically on a balcony in a fairytale dress like she did. Such a beautiful song and beautiful video.

You Belong With Me

ONE OF MY ALL TIME FAVORITE VIDEOS EVER. I mean, between Lucas Till and the window notes, can this get any cuter? This song and video gave me hope for love for my awkward self (and the hope I would get a cute neighbor to write window notes to someday).

The Best Day

Tears. Flowing. Everywhere. I absolutely love how much Taylor loves her mom and family. We love you momma Swift!

White Horse

I would dramatically sink down against a wall like Taylor and cry for no reason about no one because I just loved this video. Yes, I was lame. No, I don't care.

Speak Now

Mean

Taylor's got haters and she's not going to be silent about it. Little does she know that this is just the beginning of a long thematic journey she's about to embark on in her musical career.

Mine

So full of hope for the future and so wide-eyed and optimistic. I really miss this side of Taylor.

Back To December

For everyone saying she always plays the victim, you've obviously never seen this.

Red

Everything Has Changed

OKAY CAN WE TALK ABOUT HOW CUTE THIS IS OMG. Such childlike innocence and ugh I miss this.

Begin Again

Taylor still believes in second chances and new beginnings. She's at a crossroads in her musical career and her mentality about life. I absolutely love the dreaminess of this video.

I Knew You Were Trouble

This is definitely in my top 5 favorite songs and videos of all time for Taylor. The story it tells is phenomenal and the edgy vibe we hadn't really gotten from Taylor before makes an appearance for the first time.

1989

Shake It Off

Sure, she still has haters but she doesn't seem to care after releasing this video. Everything about this video was so clever. Honestly, I thought the twerking was getting crazy for her, but little did I know what the future would hold.

Blank Space

We begin to see from Taylor's eyes how the media portrays her to be a serial dater, and she goes with it and makes fun of it in a creative way. She even says in an interview with Vogue that if she could tell her 19 year-old-self something it would be that she would be shamed for dating like a regular 19-year-old.

Bad Blood

SQUAD, SQUAD, SQUAD. I mean, who else in the world has such an A-list group of women as friends?

Wildest Dreams

Even though there was a lot of controversy with the meaning of this video, it still remains one of my favorites. It just shows that Taylor can pull off any role or style. The song also shows how she's losing innocence, but she still has that hope for love she's always had in every song.

I Don't Wanna Live Forever

Dream collab. This was such a good song and it was just enough to hold me over until Reputation. I don't think we could have waited as long as we did without this single in our lives.

Reputation

Look What You Made Me Do

Here she is. She's back from 6+ months of being MIA and slaying per the usual. This time she's tearing apart everything and everyone that has ever stained her reputation. From Kanye to her "surprised" face, she's not taking crap anymore.

After her journey, I don't know if I would either. It's so weird to think we started at Tim McGraw and ended up here, but every era of Taylor's life will always be a new era in mine. I may cry when I see her kicking Junior Jewel Taylor in the face, but I'm ready to see what Reputation has in store.

Share with a fellow Swiftie!!!