The Problem With The Presidential Debates

From someone who watches them solely for entertainment value.

5
https://pikwizard.com/photo/9fb6421177645a9f495e1b2b75e064bc

Now, I am young so I have not yet watched many presidential debates. With that being said, I do not know if they used to be any better at actually helping voters decide who they wanted to vote for, but from my experience, they are absolutely useless.

Where the intention is to discuss their approaches to current and long standing issues, what it actually just turns into is bickering and putting down the other candidate. Personal attacks and empty responses seem to be the only thing coming out of anyone's mouth (well, and the moderator trying to get the candidates to stop talking).

As someone who tries to look at candidates objectively, how am I, or really anyone else, supposed to feel comfortable with either, or really any candidates for that matter? The focus seems to be too often on demeaning the opposing candidate or party, and less about responding honestly and intellectually to questions, while also respecting the other candidate.

The animosity between parties is unsettling, especially when the ideal society would sit down collaboratively to understand each side and compose the most ethical and individual-rights motivated approach to running a country.

I do not know that I will ever see a political arena in which something like this occurs, or that anyone ever really will. Only when the face of politics is altered, and the parties are willing to compromise will our country really see a brighter future.

With that being said, if you are genuinely looking to be entertained, as stated in my title, then watch the presidential debates; right now, they are not good for much else.