The Power Of 'Sweetie'

The Power Of 'Sweetie'

Women everywhere can have a fighting chance against these pet names.

25
The Power Of 'Sweetie'
The Oscar Nerd

Sweetie. Honey. Girl. Love. These words have been labeled as sexist remarks towards females everywhere. They are seen as demeaning and patronizing. Acid to the female power. A chisel to the female voice. However, what exactly is our combatant against these words? How do we fight back? I have an idea. Maybe a solution. Maybe a possible revolution. But that's me dreaming.

How about, instead of reprimanding the patronizers of the opposite sex and banning them from using these words, we use those words against them! Hear me out. In an argument, men constantly sprinkle in these annoying pet names to only dumb us down. They try to remind us of our gender as if being female is a symbol of fragility and weakness, but what if we use those words against them? In our arguments, if we use terms such as "sweetie" and "honey," our arguments will have another layer. On top of our evidence, these terms will take a shot at the male ego. If they associate these words to be frail and weak, then we should be able to use them against the opponent.

These pet names strip us away from having command of the argument. Sure, if we feel confident in ourselves, then we can walk away not scathed. However, the male counterpart will still think they came out on top; if we deliver the same treatment to them, they will feel hurt. The masculinity in their ego will be injured. Every time I managed to sprinkle in the word "sweetie" in my argument, the opponent instantly gets offended. They feel as if I am talking to a child. As if they needed to be chided before being sent to the corner.

It is horrifying that these words are associated with being frail and incapable of holding onto complex ideas. Yet, those who serve it must be able to take it.

Now, there are precautions. Those who engage with this tactic will be labeled the following: "bossy", "catty", "rude", "sassy" and "b***hy." However, this should not stop you. You should add these words to your arsenal as they still are demeaning and patronizing. If the oppressors want to use these words to demean us, it is honestly because they are cowards and have nothing else to say. We are human beings, so do not objectify us when you are wrong.

These pet names are meant to distract us from winning, they are meant to put us down. They are meant to take away our power as women to be able to be right. So, if we turn the tables on the oppressors, we can take back that power. We just need to be courageous enough to demand what was ours in the first place.