To The Students Who Don't Want To Date In College, That Makes A Lot Of Sense

Why should you have to decide everything right now?
88

College is an absolute whirlwind with crazy schedules, long study filled nights, intense essays, part-time work, and not to mention a social life.

It does not take long for you to get pulled into this new and fast paced life that is constantly spinning. By the time you get to the end of spring semester you are only just realizing that your year is even coming to a close. So why would you want to add this stress with a relationship or a dating life?

Some people can do it, have the best of both worlds. Date or be in a committed relationship and maintain a college career. But some people cannot or choose not to, and that is okay too.

I am one of the choosers, who chose not to date. Right before freshman year, I moved to New Jersey, and I did not know anyone. I felt alone and so far from home, but I knew I had to make some choices. I could have moped and hated being here or I could have made best with what I had and do what I came here to do. Luckily, I was brave enough to choose option two and take my college career head on.

The family I had that were near were very supportive, but my best friends and my mom lived far away and on campus, I had no one. I had to become my own support system that was going to keep me from falling off of the path I wanted to be on.

To do so, I had to be fully committed and that meant being there for me and for me alone. I declared that year as the year of me. I chose not to look for a relationship, instead I focused on who I was before and after the move, and I focused on the future me.

Each year following, I continued to fall into that same rhythm of focusing on me. But I am the one choosing not to try for a relationship. I like focusing on me and my future career. Two people in college are trying to figure out what they want to do for the rest of their lives, they should not have to consider WHO they want to spend the rest of their life with at the same time.

College is hard and dating is hard, but at the end of the day it is about what you want. If you want gooey and lovey college experiences, by all means go and find your love. But if you do not know what you want, try to figure it out and try to figure yourself out.