The Paradox Of Love

The Paradox Of Love

Is the heartbreak worth it?

48
The Paradox Of Love

Heartbreak is awful, and I truly understand why it is given that name. The loss of someone you love whether because of a breakup or distance or death is heart wrenching. It is the feeling of your chest tightening and you gasping for breath. Maybe you cry about it for a day, a month, a year. Maybe you don't cry at all, because that's ok too. Yet, either way there is an irreplaceable gaping hole left inside a piece of your heart. One that might never be filled again.

In your darkest moments, you may regret the time you've spent together. You question if it was all really worth this. You want to erase all the memories, to return to a time before it all. A time of the blissful feeling of an empty head and full optimistic heart.

Yet, that's what I argue is the true paradox of heartbreak. It hurts, and it sucks no matter what the circumstance. As awful as the loss of this love is, I would rather feel it than feel nothing at all. I would rather have made these memories with my lover or friend than to have not made them at all just to save myself from a little pain.

I do not want to forget the sound of your laugh. I do not want to forget the day of adventuring to new restaurants, going on hikes or enjoying a beach day. I do not want to forget your flaws, the little things that make a person who they are. The true injustice to us would be to forget these beautiful things.

One day, this heartbreak will lessen, I can promise you that. I believe that time does heal all wounds. One day I will not feel sad when I think of you. One day I will not ache at the sight of you smiling. One day I will not cringe at the sound of your laughter. Despite it all, I will appreciate how much I loved you (and hopefully) you loved me as well. I feel so lucky to have had not only you but the experience of you in my life. You will always have a special place in my heart.

One day we may meet again, we will be in the same place at the same time. Our eyes will meet and thousands of memories and hundreds of moments of bliss will flash into both of our minds after all this time. Or maybe, we won’t. Maybe there will never be this encounter.

One day you will look back to us as a reminder of what love feels like. Our memories will have the ability to make you sad because we are no longer. I hope you are grateful to have been a part of something so strong and beautiful. Always know, that even with the pain of heartbreak when I think of you, I feel grateful. I am grateful to have shared a small piece of your life with you.