The One I Can Count On

The One I Can Count On

You mean the world to me, and I can't imagine a life without you

28
two friends
Personal Photo

As Hannah Montana once said, "you pull me aside when something ain't right/talk with me now and into the night until it's all right again you're a true friend." A true friend is something I have always been lucky enough to have in my life. My definition of a true friend consists of three aspects. A true friend is someone willing to put down everything to be there for his or her friend. They are also trustworthy and supportive.

What I look for most in a friend is someone willing to put down whatever they're doing to help someone. I'm lucky enough that my best friend Kendra has been willing to do this on numerous occasions. No matter what is going on in her life, she has always been willing to be there for me when I need her the most. This signifies a true friend for me because it proves to me that she cares. Most people wouldn't drop anything for their friend, but when they are a true friend, it's completely different. There's a different type of caring that a person feels when they have a true friend.

The second quality I look for in a true friend is someone trustworthy. Having a trustworthy friend means that they can be relied on to have my best interest at heart. A trustworthy friend has my back in all situations. It may be hard to understand their view on certain circumstances, but they're always thinking about what is best for me. Kendra has always treated me with kindness and shows me through her actions that she has my best interest in heart.

The third quality I search for in a friend is someone supportive of everything I do. Now, this doesn't mean that Kendra has to agree with everything I say or do, but she is supportive when she knows the outcome will be what's best for me. Being a supportive friend is essential because everyone needs a support system in life. It helps them to keep going despite hardships and obstacles that may cross their path. It also helps by solidifying their decisions. Most people want to feel supported in every decision they make because it allows them to feel more confident in their choice. They always look to that friend when they need advice or support because it's comforting.

I consider myself very lucky. I've grown up having the most dependable friend since the fourth grade. Kendra has fit into every aspect of what I believe the definition of a true friend is. Although we may have our differences, we are always supportive, trustworthy, and willing to put down everything to help each other.