The Next 10 Books I'm Reading

The Next 10 Books I'm Reading

From A Girl Who's Finally Reading For Pleasure Again

34
The Next 10 Books I'm Reading

When I was in middle school I was obsessed with reading books, especially YA fantasy novels. I fell in love with the characters and daydreamed about living in those stories every day whilst in class. When I got to high school I continued to read a little bit in my free time, but I slowed down a lot. A combination of more homework, extracurriculars, and sustaining a social life made it difficult for Teen Me to find the time for reading. At the beginning of this year, however, I was struggling to find some happiness in my anxious world when my roommate suggested we have a movie marathon to watch The Hunger Games Trilogy. After watching the movies again I felt a surge of inspiration to re-read the books. Up until then I hadn't read a book for pleasure in at least two years.

Now that I've realized how much happiness and stress-relief reading provides me with I have made it my goal to make reading a part of my daily routine. I also realized that in order to read all the books that have caught my eye in the past couple months that I will have to start reading daily. So I thought I would share the top ten books on my list to read (although there are many more on the list after these) in case anyone else is looking to get back into reading like I am!

The Ballad of Songbirds and Snakes by Suzanne Collins

A screenshot of a post by @thehungergames on instagram.

https://www.instagram.com/p/CAvzDnQpXSq/

I am currently reading this prequel book to The Hunger Games Trilogy written by the same author, Suzanne Collins. The Ballad of Songbirds and Snakes follows the story of a young Coriolanus Snow, future President of Panem, as he is given the job of being a mentor for the female District Twelve tribute in the tenth annual Hunger Games. As an avid Hunger Games fan, and given the fact that I just finished re-reading the original series, I had to purchase this novel as soon as it came out. I had a little trouble at first getting into the book, but now I am determined to see exactly how Coriolanus Snow became the evil President that we know from the original series. I'm super excited to finish this one and encourage it to any Hunger Games fans!

The Song of Achilles by Madeline Miller

A screenshot of a post by the author, @madeline.e.miller , on instagram.

https://www.instagram.com/p/BxSy6nrnHKX/

The Song of Achilles is a re-telling of the epic Trojan War. The story follows the hero Achilles and the prince Patroclus and explores their relationships with each other as well as with Fate. From the description it seems as though Miller portrays Achilles and Patroclus as more than simply friends, so I'm excited for some possible LGBT representation in a story that normally wouldn't include any. I've heard wonderful things about Miller's poetic writing, so I'm really looking forward to reading this one!

Circe by Madeline Miller

https://www.instagram.com/p/BwCrYrLHOzF/

After hearing about The Song of Achilles I heard about Circe, which was also written by Madeline Miller. This book promises the same poetic writing, but with a strong female lead. Circe is the daughter of a god, who prefers mortals and is banished to an island on Earth where she becomes a powerful witch and meets many of the most famous figures from greek mythology who come across her island. I think I might be even more excited to read this one than the book listed before, but we can only wait and see which one I favor once they're read!

Six of Crows by Leigh Bardugo

A screenshot of a post by the author, @lbardugo , on instagram.

https://www.instagram.com/p/BelxOjTnylO/

Six of Crows is a very popular book recommended by many on 'booktok,' or the book side of Tiktok. The author, Leigh Bardugo, writes about a group of six unlikely friends who attempt to pull off a heist that could end up saving the world. This book sounds like it guarantees excitement and adventure, while also providing for some humor within the group!

Heartless by Marissa Meyer

A screenshot of a post by the author, @marissameyerauthor , on instagram.

https://www.instagram.com/p/B6TKvn9lZFJ/

Heartless by Marissa Meyer is a prequel to the Alice In Wonderland series explaining the Queen of Heart's backstory. Catherine, the future Queen of Hearts, is desired by the unmarried King of Hearts, but she has other plans. She wishes to open a bakery with her best friend until she meets the court Joker who she enters a secret relationship with. Catherine is determined to live her own life and choose her own love despite the madness in wonderland. Not only am I excited to read a story within the crazy world of wonderland, but I am also excited to read about a strong female lead making her own choices.

The Shadows Between Us by Tricia Levenseller

A screenshot of a post by the author, @tricialevenseller , on instagram.

https://www.instagram.com/p/B35297cgWXZ/

The Shadows Between Us tells the story of Alessandra, an ambitious girl who plans to marry the powerful Shadow King, kill him, and take his power for herself. As she works on her plan though she has to protect the King from other attacks on his life as well as attempt to not let herself actually fall in love with him. I love an ambitious female lead with a forbidden love story!

Red, White, and Royal Blue by Casey McQuiston

A screenshot of a post by the author, @ casey.mcquiston , on instagram.

https://www.instagram.com/p/CALCAUIgams/

This one doesn't exactly fit in with most of the other books on this list since it's not a fantasy or dystopian novel. However, I am still really excited to read this enemies to lovers about the son of the United States' President and the son of England's King. After a squabble between the two boys they are forced to fake a friendship to help their parents' political relationships. Their fake friendship turns into a real secret romantic relationship that could hurt both nations. Another forbidden love story I cannot resist!

A Court of Thorns and Roses by Sarah J. Maas

A screenshot of a post by the author, @therealsjmaas , on instagram.

https://www.instagram.com/p/B8Js2j0HE1b/

A Court of Thorns and Roses is another much recommended book from 'booktok.' The story follows Feyre who kills a fairie in a fight for food in the harsh winter, she is taken to court to be punished. Between the mysteries of court, her captor who she feels at first hostility towards and then passion, an ancient curse, and amazing reviews this book is bound to impress.

These Witches Don't Burn by Isabel Sterling

A screenshot of a post by the author, @isa_sterling , on instagram.

https://www.instagram.com/p/B9aPgNMgbW1/

These Witches Don't Burn is about a modern day with in Salem who deals simultaneously with a new crush, her ex-girlfriend, the mystery of evil blood witches attacking her coven. Not only do I love reading about witchcraft, but I also am so excited to read a story about witches with LGBT representation!

We Were Liars by E. Lockhart

A screenshot of a post by the author, @elockhartbooks , on instagram.

https://www.instagram.com/p/CCYZWBMpgm-/

Another non-fantasy book on the list is We Were Liars, which has been given amazing reviews for its twists and turns! This novel is about a distinguished family on a private island and four friends whose friendships turn destructive as the lies pile on. This suspense novel will definitely be a page turner and I can't wait!

Let me know in the comments if you've read any of these and what your thoughts are on them!