The Meaning Behind 'Diary Of Jane'

The Meaning Behind 'Diary Of Jane'

Taking a look at Breaking Benjamin’s hit song.

51913
The Meaning Behind 'Diary Of Jane'
Ticket Crusader

Breaking Benjamin is my favorite modern rock band. I’ll admit, there is not a single song on all of their albums I dislike or skip over when I listen to them on my phone or radio. Released on June 6, 2006, Diary of Jane instantly became a fan favorite and soared up the rock n’ roll record charts. It rapidly became Breaking Benjamin’s hit song off the Phobia album and would eventually become their most recognizable song. So let’s take a moment to analyze this song and to find the hidden meaning behind the lyrics.

First, Diary of Jane is referring to a diary of a fictitious woman named Jane. There is no name for the male counterpart in the song, but we can probably assume it is lead singer Benjamin Burnley. Verse 1 starts off like this:

If I had to

I would put myself right beside you

So let me ask you

Would ya like that? Would ya like that?

In these first four lines, a story starts to develop between the relationship of Jane and the male counterpart. It is clear he wants to be with Jane but is wondering if she feels the same about that inkling.

And I don’t mind

If you say

This love is the last time

So now I’ll ask

Do ya like that? Do ya like that?

No!

The second half of verse one enters a new phase where he is asking Jane if her current relationship is her last love. At the end of verse one, he indicates that she may not be happy with her current situation much like him, and he is wondering if she feels the same about him.

Something’s getting in the way

Something’s just about to break

I will try to find my place

In the diary of Jane

So, tell me

How it should be?

Chorus one indicates to the audience there is clearly something hindering a relationship between these two. Whether it is another individual, reason she will not date him or tension between the two, it is clearly on display that something is preventing these two from hooking up. However, he indicates in the second half of the chorus he is still trying to force his way into her life and wants to know how that can be done.

Try to find out

What makes you tick

As I lie down

Sore and sick

Do ya like that? Do ya like that?

The first part of verse two shows the audience that he is still attempting to figure out what this girl is like and it is consuming his thoughts even when he tries to fall asleep. Once again, he reiterates the same question, “[d]o ya like that,” which shows he is still self-conscious about her and if he will ever be good enough.

There’s a fine line

Between love and hate

And I don’t mind

Just let me say that

I like that

The second part of verse two shows he is starting to realize chasing this girl isn’t everything and feels that he can be happy on his own without her in his life.

Something's getting in the way

Something's just about to break

I will try to find my place

In the diary of Jane

As I burn another page

As I look the other way

I still try to find my place

In the diary of Jane

So tell me

How it should be?

Chorus two begins the same as chorus one, but changes at line five where he begins to show dismay about the fact he might never be with Jane. However, there is still some reason why Jane does not like him but there’s still a shot at love between these two. Despite all the venom towards his direction from Jane, he is still trying his best to impress her.

Desperate I will crawl

Waiting for so long

No love, there's no love

Die for anyone

What have I become?

In the bridge, a new revelation occurs from the male as he indicates he will do everything in his power to chase this woman, even if it includes pushing those around him out of his life. He has done so much to attain this woman that he is not giving up yet, despite all of his sacrifices.

The song ends with chorus two, which means this entire experience of chasing Jane did not work out and killed his emotions completely. However, he still wants her and will try everything to be with Jane even if it includes killing himself emotionally. Personally, I think this song is about a girl a guy likes but knows he will never have a shot with her for whatever the reason may be. Instead of moving on and realizing there is plenty of other options on the dating market, this guy is so consumed with chasing Jane that he loses sight of everything else around him. In the end, this whole experience has completely failed him but he is so obsessed with Jane that he will do anything and everything to be with her.