The Love of Photography

The Love of Photography

A Passion, Love, and Way of Life

8
The Love of Photography
Pasu Au Yeung

As it currently stands, there is nothing I'm more proud of than my reputation as the "camera guy." From years of extreme sports, to being an outdoorsman, and even to simply attending family functions, I'm there with the camera. There's something about documentation and preserving memories that is simply amazing, and being known to many as a mentor and adviser is a nice touch. It is also a bit of a status symbol; in a world where everybody has access to a camera in some form, being able to stand out is indicative some advanced level of skill.

It also doesn't come easy. I received my first camera when I was ten years old, and my first video editing software a year later. As a kid it was all fun and games, but as you get older, you see it just like anything else: it's still fun and games, but it involves a lot of dedication and there's a price to pay. Any respectable photographer agrees that you don't need the fanciest equipment and that the gear doesn't make the photographer, but there is still a baseline level of equipment that likely isn't going to be cheap. Even more importantly, it is a game of sacrifice. Photographing an event likely means you aren't going to be actively participating in it as much as everybody else, if even at all. When you're the one behind the camera, you're the one who isn't in the photos. On the other hand, when you participate in an event, the fact that you aren't there to photograph it can get in your head. It's a balance game, and especially with the stuff I do it's a bit of a hustle: if you want to participate in something and still get the shots, you better be there early, prepared, and on your game. When it comes to video production, get ready for some frustration during the shoot and long stints at your desk afterwards; post-production is a meticulous (but rewarding) process. If you just enjoy casual photography that's one thing, but if this is a field you want to pursue seriously, be ready to make yourself stand out.

For me, that part is rather easy. Few photographers are crazy enough to do the stuff I do, and there are numerous photographers who have called me crazy for the risk I partake to get these shots (and yes, I can provide references). To me, photography is like anything else: no reward without risk. Nearly every one of my favorite shots involved a somewhat significant risk to my gear (usually water....fast, powerful water), as well as some risk of injury to myself. The other risk is the risk of missing the shot, which unlike damaging gear or sustaining minor injury to yourself, is not necessarily replaceable. I see myself as a technician, and sell myself on the ability to get a shot the first time without any retakes. I actually dislike studio work for that reason; I've dealt with meticulous lighting set-ups and countless shot retakes, and it just isn't the same to me. The spark isn't there; it just feels monotonous and routine. I need to work in conditions out of my control, with everchanging lighting and weather conditions and only one chance to get the shot, something you see not only in sports photography but in activities such as weddings and photojournalism. I've had numerous photographers tell me that their anxiety would prevent them from shooting in that type of environment and that's okay; we need people to shoot portraits and product photography as well. They enjoy taking countless retakes to get the perfect shot just as much as I love having to get the perfect shot on the first try; we're all just a different type of crazy.

Now, what is it we all love about taking photos or producing videos? It's hard to say, and I'm sure it varies per person. To me, it's a way to document human achievement, help people to embrace nature, and bring attention to the things I care about. Every picture I post about skydiving or whitewater kayaking or rock climbing brings more attention to the sport, and every picture I post from a mountain or waterfall or canyon generates more interest and respect for nature. We have this ability with modern media channels to reach a virtually infinite amount of people, and I see so much potential for that. I'm a marketing guy, and for others they might pursue everything for more artistic reasons. I also think I just enjoy the sheer power and influence that comes with a photo. I can control my frame of reference and the intended reaction, and as such instill different responses in the people who view my photography. You can take a crashing wave on an ocean and make it look powerful or serene. You can use photography to market an activity towards different demographics and personality types. In essence, when somebody views a photo, a lot of the story is left up to their interpretation. To an artist, this could be an attempt to let them formulate their own opinions. To a graphic designer or marketing guy, this could be an attempt to elicit a certain feeling or persuade somebody towards a certain idea. This is a lot of the appeal of photojournalism as well, and a lot of power and influence exists behind a camera. If nothing else, we also just find it fun; it's something we're passionate about that makes us happy.

Photography, production, and photojournalism are respectable and powerful fields, and are a way of life to many of us. Some people might never understand why we do what we do, but for many of us, it is something we could never live without.