The Love/Hate Relationship Of New England Weather

Mother Nature changes it's mood here faster than your girl on her period.

282
Quick Meme

Anyone who’s grown up in New England knows that at any give point in time the weather can change. Currently, it’s April and there’s a blizzard, so if that doesn’t tell you how crazy the weather is here, you’ll just have to experience it yourself. While most college kids put away their ‘winter’ (ha) clothing when Spring rolls around, New England kids know better than to bring home or store away those snow boots and heavy coats that make you look like an Eskimo. Yes, us New Englanders insist you know that we love what we hate.

1. April Showers Actually Bring Snow

Where was the snow back in December? No worries, Mother Nature saved it for April so that all of us could pull out the coats we were sure would have gathered dust by now.

2. So Me Put in Work, work, work, work, work, work

You thought this meant a snow day? You have to be new here to think that a blizzard would shut this region down. Only in rare cases of a lapse of judgement or apocalyptic conditions does anything get canceled. It’s okay though; you’ll have so many near-death experiences you won’t know what to do with yourself.

3. Young Metro Don’t Trust Warm Weather

0-100 isn’t an unrealistic catchphrase, kids. Weather varies in terms of 20 to 30 degree separation throughout the day. No, not between days. It’s very much in the same day.

4. I'm Packin'

Only the essentials - an umbrella and a rain jacket. Be ready for moments of total downpour. They’ll either last for two minutes or turn into a thunderstorm that would scare your dog. Downpour or Draw Four - which would you rather?

5. Summertime Sadness

Usually cloudy skies or rain might make a person sad, but try humid sticky days that make you bow down to any kind of fan or air conditioning. College kids can be seen crying in their dorms with various fans drying their tears. If you’re lucky and you have air conditioning wherever you are, savor it.

That being said, we love our weather here for a reason. There is nowhere else in the world I’d rather be, even with the intense mood changes of Mother Nature.

6. Fall-in In Love

Fall, hands down, is the best season in New England. I’m sorry, but if you don’t wipe a tear at the sight of the leaves changing and the prospect of flannels, hot chocolate, football and balmy weather, then you’re probably Satan. Just saying.

7. Surfin’ USA

Yeah, it gets hot here, especially in July and August, but the beaches here on the East Coast are bar none the nicest beaches I’ve been to. I don’t trust the hot weather of the West Coast coupled with the warm ocean. You’ve got ice in your veins if you’re a New Englander, so the once-frigid Atlantic will feel welcoming to your scorched body.

8. Grass Dreaming

I don’t know if anybody has felt like I have when Spring rolls around and you spot green grass, but it’s fantastic. During the dreary days of winter, the skies look a little bit like your mood when you talk about your GPA. Any sight of grass and the shining sun turns me in to a squirrel instantly. SUN? WARMTH? GREEN?

9. Make It Rain

Yeah, okay, so the rain is unpredictable just like the rest of New England weather, but it’s probably the most beautiful thing to listen and dance to. Every once in a while, when it’s really hot, rain is the only thing I wish for, and often you can find me dancing like a maniac in it. It’s also my favorite thing to fall asleep to, hands down.

10. Love Sick

I don’t care if I’m going to have snow in May next year (though, yikes global warming) or 90 degree weather. I can never get sick of New England because it’s always going to surprise me. The foilage, the snow, the rainstorms, the heat, all of it is what makes us New Englanders so resilient. We can handle our weather; therefore, we can handle anything.

Don’t be fooled. It’s a process to become acclimated to this constant change in weather, but it’s worth it to live here. And if you were born here, you know just what I’m talking about.