The Lies We Believe

The Lies We Believe

So often we fall victim to the "almost."

255

In today's fast track society, information is coming from every outlet, every second. News, data and other information are more accessible than ever.

With Siri as our walking genie, answers to nearly every question are at the disposal of our fingertips.

So, with all this information, how do you differentiate between truth and lies?

Fake news is a big issue, and often times we are skeptical to accept any news story at face value. This is the sad reality of the world we live in today.

Yet, fake news is not just a reality of the news world. "Almost truths" are everywhere and seep into nearly every facet of life--including the Christian life.

More often than not, many Christians fall victim to the "almost gospel." This gospel sounds pretty close to the Gospel, but there are key components missing.

We live in a society that preaches a prosperity gospel and loves to take verses out of context... And the unfortunate truth is that many times we believe it.

Part of falling victim to the "almost gospel" comes down to knowing scripture.

There are people in the world who will take the Gospel, the Word of God, and twist it to fit their agenda. How often is Philippians 4:13 used during athletic events?

There is nothing necessarily wrong with this. However, using one verse when we need it and then casting it aside is not how God intended it to be.

Scripture was intended to help us know God and make Him known. It is alive and active.

All Scripture is God-breathed and is useful for teaching, rebuking, correcting and training in righteousness (2 Timothy 3:16).

God did not intend scripture to be a "one time use." We are to be consumed by it. Know it. Love it. Breathe it.

When we fall victim to the "almost gospel," we are taking what the world says about Christ over the truth.

I am by no means pointing fingers, because I am guilty of it at times, as well. So, this is meant to be a challenge (for you and for me) to dive into scripture. Memorize it. Meditate on it.

Stop believing the lies of the world, and start trusting in the truth of the Gospel.

I could go on longer, but I'll stop here for now. There are a variety of more qualified people that have divulged in this topic. I encourage you to take a look.

1. George Whitefield, 18th-century English evangelist, preacher during the Great Awakening (The Almost Christian)

2. Jen Wilkin, author of How to Study the Bible with Both Our Hearts and Our Minds (How Has Social Media Changed Bible Reading?)

3. John Piper, author, and paster, founder of desiringGod.org (How to Misinterpret the Bible)