The Kids Taught Me

The Kids Taught Me

Let them be little, and you will learn a lot.

20
The Kids Taught Me
Lacee Baggs

For longer than I remember, my friends have called me Mom. In fact, a Mother's Day picture exists of me tugging a friend's ponytail under a "Homie" beanie. The caption reads, "To the real mom in my life." Responding to "Mom" is habitual, but I lacked actual experience with children before September of 2015. Then, I joined the family at Cedar Rapids Day School.

During high school, I participated in Teens for Tots, a mentor program that allowed high school students to bond with kids from kindergarten through third grade. My only other experience with young children included a few random acts of babysitting and a couple Christmas dinners with younger cousins. Alas, the director offered me a position. My friends say it's because I carry a "mom purse," but I think it's because I had a lot to learn from those kiddos.

As a Teen for a Tot, I witnessed a little bit of children's monkey-see-monkey-do attitudes. However, a three-year-old brain has a higher capacity for mimicry than any seven-year-old's. As a decently patient person, I didn't think I had much to learn in that area. However, the kids taught me that patience solves problems. Can't find a puzzle piece? Just wait--a friend will find it for you. Yes, that goes for physical and metaphorical puzzles. That's a lesson I learned quickly.

Learning that lesson taught me another: a young life can change old thoughts. Before working with children, I spent a lot of time mentally running between, "I can't wait to be a mom," and, "Children will ruin me." A middle ground did not exist. The older I aged, the more time I spent near the latter.

Then I spent nine months working with children who changed my life. Screamers greeting me with, "Miss Lacee," hugs tightened with, "I missed you," and goodbyes undoubtedly ended with, "I love you," brightened even the darkest of days. Yes, some days the thought, "I will never have any of my own," crossed my mind. However, those days included my first diaper change (and the days following when my coworkers passed that job to me), a child breaking a toilet tank lid, and a temper tantrum thrown like I had only seen on TV. The other days were different.

The other days were full of smiles, giggles, and curiosity. The other days included listening to a story that brought more excitement to a child's eyes than ever before. The other days reminded me of the important path I continue to pave every day, the path toward receiving the licensure to practice youth and adolescent counseling.

After combining the best and the lesser, the story of working at a day school with limited prior experience continues--not ends--with happiness and hope. Happiness comes from the random memories that pop in my mind when I'm feeling down. Hope comes from the realization that every step I have taken has brought me to where I am and therefore where I am going. One day, that place will be a house where, "Mommmm," is screamed out, and I will respond in a more knowing way than ever before.