The Importance Of Coming Home For The Summer

Summer vacation is usually the worst time for college students, but it may be the most important for this age of self exploration.

21

College is an exciting time full of self-exploration and changes, freedom and responsibility, and a strong education on being independent. You make new friends, find new things that interest you, and explore different directions your life could take. It is a time of self-discovery and growth. But after that first year, you go right back to your small town with your parents and crappy diners and you try to settle back in.

You most likely get a summer job as a waitress/waiter, lifeguard, camp counselor or doing labor. You may have a summer fling, you may hang out with old friends, but most of what you do is sit in your room watching Netflix guzzling your mom's boxed wine.

But the return back to your small hometown is actually one of the most important parts of college life. It grounds you it brings you to your roots and helps you decipher how much you actually have changed since you left.

While at school, you may have explored a punk rock phase, you may have gotten into the frat party culture, or you may have become very posh and pretentious. Coming home may help you realize that while maybe you aren't the most metal person out there, you have developed an edgy side. Returning to the nest may cause you to realize that you're not as dependent or independent as you thought.

Being home is hard. You miss your friends, you miss your life, and you miss your independence. But it is important to enjoy your time spent at home. If you're single, date around, you may find a summer fling and you may find love. Reconnect with your old friends. Go on day trips, drive across the country, travel as much as you budget permits you. Get a summer job that is full of excitement and learning opportunities. Working with kids may make you realize that you don't want to be a teacher when you finish school. Or, it may make you realize that later in life, you really would like to become a parent.

While it is easy to be swept away in the teen angst, exploring your position in your family is a vital part of this self-discovery stage. You may be the youngest, who always got information from the parents and now need to figure out how to communicate with your siblings. Or, you could be the oldest, realizing the family isn't as dependent on you as you had thought. And being away from home is a defining moment in the relationship with your parents. Coming back, it is important to begin figuring out how that relationship is going to mature.

The summer is hard. But being home, being back in the small world you knew before, it brings you closer to discovering who you really are. Summer break allows you to grow and realize what you want and needs out of your next year. It helps mold you to the decision of what career path you want to follow, the kind of people you're interested in romantically, and the kind of person you want to become.

So, as we prepare for another year, look back on this summer and all that was accomplished. Look back on the relationships that grew or withered, look at the jobs and what you learned from them, and look at yourself and figure out where to go from here. This may have been the worst summer, but figuring out why may be the key to a happy and successful future and an amazing year at school. And if this summer was great, then use it to improve school life even more. This age of change and self-exploration is not confined to the dorms. It surrounds you in all your endeavors.