The Importance Of Appreciating Your Past

Regardless of what happened, it got you where you are right now.

298
Google.com

Leaving home for college was definitely one of the most difficult transitions that I have experienced.

It is hard to believe that that was three years ago now.

Since then, I have gained such an appreciation for my home and what I associate with it that I don't think I necessarily appreciated before I left.

Looking back, I believe that stepping out of my comfort zone and embracing a new city was definitely the right decision for me. It has proven to be very rewarding, though challenging at times, along the way.

I have learned so much during my time away from home and have made many great friends and memories along the way thus far. However, I still believe that at the end of the day it is so important to be mindful of where you came from, to embrace it, and to acknowledge how it helped to get you where you are in the present.

I don't think many college students would go back to their high school if given the chance. Understandably, each high school experience is different. Some cannot wait to leave all that it represented behind, and others hold the belief that, in retrospect, it really was not all that bad.

Regardless of opinion, it is important to recognize that the lessons learned, the knowledge acquired, and the skills developed in high school ultimately assisted you in getting you to where you are right now.

There is so much to be said for the individual freedom that comes with the transition to college life, too. It's all on you now, and it's such an exciting benefit. You can do what you want, go wherever you want, hangout with whoever you want, and so much more.

While this is all well and good, I think it is important to acknowledge that the lack of personal freedom that was (potentially) experienced in high school has helped to prepare you for the immense degree of freedom that you have while you are in college. Those experiences have helped to instill responsible and respectable values that come with taking advantage of the personal freedom that life away from home has to offer.

It is important to embrace the new, but not forget about the old. There are certain things that college will provide you with that home will not be able to- like the freedom to make each and every decision for yourself. At the same time, home will be able to provide you with certain things that college will not be able to- like the company of family and old friends.

I think it is fair to say that home makes you appreciate college, and college makes you appreciate home.

While embracing all that life away from home has to offer, I still find myself occasionally missing my creature comforts from time to time. Being away from Boston has made me appreciate a number of different things; like the Dunkin Donuts you can find on nearly every street corner, the crisp Fall afternoons that depict the most beautiful foliage, the consistent Boston sports hype, and the undeniable feeling of all things familiar.

It is so important to embrace and appreciate the freedom and opportunities that come with being in college. Yet, I believe it is equally as important to both acknowledge and to have a sincere appreciation for the place that you call home and the place and experiences that ultimately helped you get to wherever it is that you are at this moment.