Tumble Into The Hobbit Hole

Recently I had the pleasure of re-discovering Tolkien's The Hobbit. What started out as a class linguistics study - turned into a relighting of the embers of passion which started my own journey. In 2004 I first picked up an old, tattered copy, with faded cover art and a broken binding; which I found in my parents' dusty library. It was my mother's copy, which she had purchased for her Sophomore High School English class, as it was required reading for her. I remember it being required reading in 5th grade, but, mid-semester the teach changed and the requirement changed as well. But, in 2004 for it was a new discovery. A whole new world, like a piece of lost history rediscovered and presented in a fictitious manner, sitting in my hands, right in front of my own eyes. It was a pivotal moment for me. I am sure, many of you have read the book, or perhaps you haven't.

The Hobbit by J.R.R. Tolkien was written in 1934, England, as a children's story. It is written in the unique perspective of narrative aside. Basically, this means it was written in the fashion of a story from experience. In this case, Bilbo, being the main character, is also the person who figuratively, wrote the story. Telling the story as a children's tale. When you sit down and read this book, try reading it aloud, adding emphasis to the sentences. It is very easy to see that this was written in a fashion as to be spoken aloud around a campfire or dinner table.

The story centers around Bilbo Baggins, a Hobbit, prone to living a quiet, peaceful life in the warm comfort of his home at Bag End. A Hobbit is one of the many races presented in the book, these people are especially unique due to their small stature and large, hairy feet. One day his comfortable life is shattered by the arrival of Gandalf, a wizard, who guides Bilbo into the choice of setting out on an adventure to help a group of dwarves, who are led by Thorin Oakenshield, to reclaim their homeland and their treasure from the clutches of the terrible Dragon Smaug. The story is filled with recognizable characters in the 21century; such as Gandalf, Bilbo, and Gollum. The amazing world of Middle-earth appears to not simply be a fictitious realm only understood by readers. But has become household knowledge.

The book is a must-read for the adventurous literary. I myself give the book easily 4.5 stars. Totally worth taking the time to read. Regardless of being classified as a children's story. You will find yourself in the Hobbit hole quick enough.

Amazon.com gives the book 4.5 stars; while Goodreads gives 4.5 stars.