The Guide To Dating Someone With Different Religious Views: From a Christian's Standpoint

"The need of the moment is not one religion, but mutual respect and tolerance of the devotees of the different religions."

-Mahatma Gandhi

92
Couple Silhouette

I am going to begin this article with a general statement. If you truly love someone, then you should be with them. I say this because when you do what makes you happy, everything is going to fall in to place.

Dating someone with different religious views can be extremely difficult. What can be hard is when you want to marry that person. The reason I believe it's hard is that sooner or later you're both going to want kids, and you're both gonna have to talk about how they should be raised. Most parents will be thrilled to take their kids to church, but when you're with someone who has different religious views, they may want to spend their Sunday's a little differently.

What I believe is that an interfaith relationship, no matter how different your views are, can be just as strong as any other relationship.

Begin With Respect

A huge aspect of religion and relationships is respect. To have a strong interfaith relationship, you should both respect what each other believes. Mahatma Gandhi said "The need of the moment is not one religion, but mutual respect and tolerance of the devotees of the different religions. "God calls us, in John 13:34, to "love one another as I have loved you." In this verse, God is telling us that we should love every other being as he loved us and gave his only son for us.

Give Support To Your Partner

Another aspect of a strong interfaith relationship is giving support to your partner.

Every strong relationship I've ever been around has been strong because both people have supported each other indefinitely. When you show your support for your husband/wife, you're letting them know that you love them no matter what differences you may have.

Now, I know there can be some major differences that can come up. I have already mentioned the point on how children will be raised, but you can also ask the questions: "Will we be going to church normally?", "Will we include God in our wedding vows?", or "Will we give thanks over each meal?"

These can all be answered the same way. If you and your husband/wife respect each other's religious views and you support each other wholeheartedly, then there will be plenty of compromises.

Be Willing to Compromise

In every strong relationship, there will be some compromise, even in relationships with the same religious views. If you truly adore someone to the point of wanting to marry them, I believe anything can be overcome.