The Greatest Formal Ever

With school slowly winding down, it means a few things for people: another year in the books, Illinois is finally reaching the high-60s, low-70s in temperature and summer is knocking on the door.

Guys can remove their shorts and tank tops from the closet, and girls can bring out their running shorts and favorite frat tanks, as well as everything else to help rid the pastiness from winter’s agony.

For me, the end of the school year has a couple other moments to look forward to because April is always full of events that I eagerly await with loads of anticipation.

Every year, my fraternity formal falls on one of the latter weekends of April, which makes for a great two-month run from March to April that features Unofficial and spring break. However, this year has even more of a reason to be ecstatic for formal. It’s not only going to be a riverboat cruise in Chicago, but it also just so happens to be the same day as my 21st birthday. Oh boy. In case you were wondering what date to wish me a happy birthday, that would April 26. Remember that.

Being in Champaign to go out for your birthday is undeniably awesome. Everyone is excited to be out with you and make certain you have the best night of the year and remember nothing by buying you drink after drink. I remember my 20th birthday last year – oh wait, just kidding, I don’t, but I was told it was one helluva  time and I even managed to take my contacts out before passing out in my bed. Anyone that wears contacts knows that truly is a feat in its own right.

Being in Chicago for your birthday has got to be even better, especially for a 21st birthday. I’m fortunate enough to do exactly that and celebrate it on a riverboat in Chicago for my formal. I’ll be with my best friends and their dates, as well as my beautiful date as we party the night away dressed to the nines. Lonely Island’s “I’m on a Boat” will presumably be played by the DJ a time or two, as well as a few other ironic songs about the night. I already feel myself getting intoxicated just thinking about the night’s happenings.

The morning of my birthday will likely begin terribly because I’ll wake up still drunk from the previous night, and my eventual hangover will kick in at around 11:00 a.m. or noon when we leave for Chicago. There’s a snowball’s chance in hell I’ll get lucky enough to fight off the hangover midway through the three hour drive as opposed to the whole duration, but I’ll remain optimistic.

Upon my arrival, I plan to purchase my first real, legal alcoholic beverage at a real, downtown Chicago bar. Not to say Champaign bars are not real because they clearly are, but it just isn’t downtown Chicago. After spending probably between $7-$10 for that drink, I’ll soon realize how much I miss $1 wells in Champaign, but it will have at least been for a good cause.

The riverboat will depart from Navy Pier at 7:00 p.m. and I will more than likely have already consumed quite the impressive amount of alcohol that my previously 20-year-old self would be jealous of. Three hours on the lake of eating, drinking, singing and dancing will combine for an unforgettable experience that I can only hope people take a significant amount of pictures to help me piece together the moments of my night I’ll undoubtedly forget. If all else fails, I will have at least looked sharp in my suit.

When I leave Chicago, I’ll be a year older than I was just a couple nights prior, and my hangover will also be feeling a year older than before, but I’m more than elated for what is to come. I’m lucky to have this opportunity and I cannot wait to not recall any of it.

And remember, April 26.