The Government Is Back (For Now)
Politics

The Government Is Back (For Now)

Let's see how long this will last...

711
The Government Is Back (For Now)
Wikipedia

So the government just kind of said, "nope, sorry, can't talk right now." In 2013, the government went a whopping two weeks without work, so I guess we should be thankful this time was only three days.

Why did they shut down this time? Well, Congress refused to pass a new law before the old one expired. Democrats want Republicans to give protection against deportation for thousands of unauthorized immigrants that were born in the United States. Democrats refuse to support government funding bills until Republicans compromise to protect DACA (Deferred Action for Childhood Arrival) program recipients or "dreamers."

After Congress and Democrats agreed to funding in order to reopen the government, to which Trump said, according to The Washington Post, "I am pleased that Democrats and Congress have come to their senses and are willing to fund our great military, border patrol, first responders and insurance for vulnerable children. We will make a longterm deal on immigration if and only if it is good for our country." In exchange for reopening the government to at least February 8, the Senate said they would consider the status of the "dreamers."

Why can't we protect our country and those that have always known America as home? Plus, the phrase, "what is good for our country" seems pretty darn subjective to me, so who knows what Trump really means by it.

Polls show that the majority of the public sympathize with the immigrants that were brought here as children, but polls also show that people don't want the government to shut down over immigration. So now we are in a pickle.

Maybe we should put some of that wall money into DACA. I don't know. Just a thought.