The Girl Who Cried

The Girl Who Cried

Rather than walking in someone's shoes, just wait until life does it for you.

18
The Girl Who Cried

It was around 3 p.m. when my plane finally lands after a 6-hour flight. I looked at my smartphone as I walked through the terminal of LAX, waiting anxiously for... Her. I am submerged in a sea of travelers making their way hastily to their destinations. I approached the women's bathroom when I noticed a young girl, crying. As I waited in line, I continued to check my missed text messages. Every few seconds, I would glance at her from a distance. She was on her smartphone, trying her best to talk while tears stream down her face. Her cheeks were red; her eyes were puffy and heavy with sadness. Now at this point, my empathetic nature suddenly began to wonder what could have happened to this girl. I instantly thought that maybe she got into an argument with her parents or maybe she lost a loved one. I figured it must have been something that wrecked this girl's world. I guess you could say I was a bit naive of the situation. I thought of every possible assumption but after getting over my subconscious need to help others, I left it alone. That's when my smartphone rang.

It was Her.

I didn't think of anything else.

My world was whole again.

I was at peace knowing that I was with Her.

It was perfect.

Four days later, I arrived at LAX terminal once again. I got my boarding pass with the word DEPARTURE in big bold letters. The word felt more like a knife stabbing me in the side. I left her, standing there in tears, unable to let go, knowing that I had no choice. It felt like my whole world was crumbling beneath me and I couldn't bear to be without Her. Once again, we would be separated by 2000 miles with only phone calls and Facetime sessions to help us through it. No matter how much you try, it is never enough being separated from the one you love. You feel empty inside. You try to numb the pain as much as you can. However, you just keep going hoping that you will be together again someday.

It was around 3 p.m. when I finally got to my terminal. I looked at my smartphone, looking for Her name. I approached the bathroom and walked past the mirror when suddenly I saw someone I knew. A familiar face. The puffy, red eyes and the face full of heartache. It was the girl who cried except this time… it was me.